Small Woodland Owners' Group

Pending Energy Crisis?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Pending Energy Crisis?

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:20 pm

Today, after Nato accuses Russia of having troops in Ukraine and Ukraine asks to join Nato;

Russia's energy minister has warned that the Ukrainian crisis could lead to a disruption of gas supplies to European countries this winter.

As the military tensions get out of hand (eg Russia has by degrees invaded Ukraine) and sanctions enter a new 'cold war' phase, it seems likely that the worst energy and gas scenarios are increasing rapidly in probability. The West will do its utmost to impose stringent sanctions on Russia to punish them,and in response the Russians will turn off the gas. Gas isn't too important to the Russian economy, its effectively a minor by-product of the oil industry, but it has a large strategic energy importance to Germany, who is Europes paymaster.

Who knows where this will end; maybe gas shortages this winter in Europe followed by a dash to alternatives, like fracking and imported LNG. Expect a hike in gas prices and more demand for wood.
oldclaypaws

Postby Tarrel » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:01 pm

Time to beef up security around one's woodlands? Look for ways to prevent vehicle/trailer access in particular. Greece has apparently become quite denuded of wood after people turned to it as a fuel, having no longer been able to afford oil, gas, etc.
Tarrel

Postby smojo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:17 pm

Anyone getting fed up of hearing about f****d up foreign countries on the news all the time. Russia/Ukraine/Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan/Israel/Gaza/various African countries etc. What's up with all these war mongering bas***ds. Let's just nuke the lot of 'em then we can get on with our lives peacefully. I'm having a party and no-ones invited. :twisted:
smojo

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:34 pm

There are times I'm ashamed to be part of the human race. While we are capable of sublime acts of creativity, I notice our former Prime Minister Mr Megabucks Blair has been offering advice to the dictator of Kazakhstan about how to put a positive spin on shooting numerous unarmed civilian demonstrators. Oh yes. Has the man no shame.

They do say absolute power corrupts absolutely. I have no hope that a sense of realism and consensus will enter Putin's Nationalist thick aggressive skull, he will literally keep pushing the physical boundaries until his corrupt oligarch regime is either financially or militarily destroyed. I suspect he is mentally ill, but that doesn't help Europe.

Had a lovely day in the wood today, I picked Elderberries to make wine, Mrs Paws picked blackberries for puddings. For an hour or two we forgot the sad state of the rest of the planet.
oldclaypaws

Postby Tarrel » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:23 pm

Likewise. This was my haul...

Tarrel

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:13 pm

Photo 30-08-2014 17 40 45.jpg
I made soup from 3 mushrooms, mind you each one was over 10 inches across. Parasols and the soup was lovely!
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:51 pm

Australian Parasols- one of my favourites. With an electric saw and £179 Lidl generator, you might just about have enough poke to slice them. :lol: 'Ceppose' Tarrels might be good eating too. :roll:
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:57 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:Australian Parasols- one of my favourites. With an electric saw and £179 Lidl generator, you might just about have enough poke to slice them. :lol: 'Ceppose' Tarrels might be good eating too. :roll:

I know, its irritating, every time I upload a photo its the right way up on my phone and tablet but the website rotates them!
Its amazes me how my fields and woods can change in such a short time, I haven't been up since Friday of last week so 8 days and I drive up today and the fields are full of large Parasol mushrooms. I picked 3 that had not been attacked by slugs, got home, used Mycokey.org to confirm my identification and half an hour later I had a large pot of tasty wild mushroom soup.
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:31 pm

Its amazes me how my fields and woods can change in such a short time

I had a large pot of tasty wild mushroom soup.

Ah, I think I know what sort of Mushrooms you've picked, you old hippy. They do tend to distort perceptions, don't they, they can play quite strange tricks on the mind. :lol: That's one way to forget the Ukraine crisis. Bon voyage.

mush 2.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby Tarrel » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:35 pm

Um..we have rather a lot of these...

Definitely NOT recommended for consumption, but they can give you a hell of a trip apparently, as the Sami people discovered after watching the erratic behaviour of their reindeer, who can't get enough of them. :shock:
Tarrel

PreviousNext

Return to General