Small Woodland Owners' Group

Pending Energy Crisis?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Pending Energy Crisis?

Postby Woodsmith » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Wendelspanswick wrote:
oldclaypaws wrote:Had a look at the RHI details, wood pellet boilers are eligible, wood burning stoves are not. Quite how they decided that is beyond me, perhaps they thought the popularity of stoves would make it too expensive for the government.

Some log burners are eligible, my business partner is going down this route. I think its just the traditional room heater log burners that are ineligible.

Surprising pellet boilers are considered better, it takes a lot of energy to pelletise wood :?
Woodsmith

Postby Tarrel » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:16 am

I do find this incredibly frustrating!

Our wood-burning Rayburn is also ineligible for RHI, even though it's the specific wood-burning model, and only attracts the 5% "green" VAT rate. OK, in terms of combustion, it's not as efficient as a modern wood-gasification boiler, but it:
- Heats the water
- Does our cooking
- Provides space heating
- Runs the radiators
- Dries clothes
- Dries the dog
- Boils the kettle
- Makes toast
- Dries fruit
- (Possibly) incubates eggs - we haven't tried this yet

- And sometimes all of the above at the same time. To my mind, that's an efficient appliance.

Modern boilers are also very tech-based, and are dependent on an electricity supply, which the Rayburn isn't. Seems like the RHI scheme is hell-bent on getting everyone to adopt the latest technology, rather than adopting sustainable solutions that suit their own particular needs. Having said that, I suppose there has to be some element of control in how the money is spent. I'm not after something for nothing, it's just frustrating to see this money being given out, and missing out on it even though you're trying to do the right thing.
Tarrel

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:42 pm

The Rayburn sounds good, but doesnt having a warm appliance in the house add to the heat of a summer day, and doesnt it takes quite a while to boil a cuppa?
oldclaypaws

Postby Tarrel » Sun May 04, 2014 11:51 am

Well, we shut it down at the end of April and light it again in September / October, depending on the weather. During the summer we use an immersion heater for hot water, and we have a regular electric oven and hob for cooking. Looking at maybe adding in solar water heating (the tank has a coil ready for it), but may need to obtain Listed Building consent.

However, you're right; if we get an unseasonably warm spell while it's still lit, it can get pretty warm in the house! Bear in mind a Rayburn is a "semi-insulated" appliance. It is designed to leach some heat out into the room, but nothing compared to, say, a wood burning stove. Most of the heat goes into the ovens and the boiler. If we don't want the heating, we just leave the pump off so the radiators don't get fed.

Re. boiling a kettle: No, it's dead quick. We have a kettle permanently sitting on the Top Plate (the flat surface surrounding the hot plate) which keeps warm. Just need to put it onto the hot plate to bring to the boil.

ETA: Also, don't forget we're in the Northern Highlands, so it rarely gets that warm!
Tarrel

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat May 10, 2014 4:56 pm

The Ukraine / Russia thing seems to be heading towards the most unstable and disruptive scenario, looks like the gas might get turned off pretty soon..... Logs at £10 a bag to stave off the winter chill, anyone ? ....form an orderly queue please....

Russia's energy ministry said Ukraine had missed a deadline to pay debts worth $3.5bn and that all gas sent from June will have to be paid in advance. "We cannot pay in advance at the price [of] about $480 per thousand cubic metres," the Interfax-Ukraine news agency quoted Mr Prodan as saying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27334289
oldclaypaws

Postby Tarrel » Sat May 10, 2014 5:41 pm

Hmm..A potential rise in the price of firewood could be a double-edged sword. A useful additional money-earner on the one hand, but a security risk on the other. One only has to look at Greece, where large areas of woodland are being cleared by opportunistic members of the public looking for an alternative heating fuel to (unaffordable) gas.

What steps to members take to prevent unauthorised felling and taking away of wood from their woodlands, I wonder?
Tarrel

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat May 10, 2014 11:04 pm

A valid point. I found the following article (one of many) about Greek deforestation- very sad. Britain is a good deal colder and more populated than Greece, so if theres a big push up in prices again from a European gas shortage, we may face the threat of lads in 4 x4 's venturing into the woods, just like Greece..... Woods near poorer urban areas would probably be the most potentially at risk rather than lightly populated rural areas.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324442304578232280995369300
Last edited by oldclaypaws on Sun May 11, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun May 11, 2014 9:26 am

Back in January I spotted a fresh pile of sawdust next to where some dropped Oak limbs had been in our wood, I tracked the drag marks to the fence (which had been pushed down) which separates our wood from the adjoining National Trust owned woodland and saw the track marks of a 4WD and trailer.
Thinking it must of been done in the night I got on with what I was doing until I heard a chainsaw start up so following the sound I came across 3 men, in their sixties, with a newish Discovery and trailer sawing up windfalls and overhanging limbs.
These weren't your average scrotes, more like retired professionals, one had cords and brogues on!
I challenged them and they gave me a story that they had permission from the NT warden, when I pointed out that by crossing and damaging the fence that they had entered into my property and committed theft they just went silent.
I said I would be complaining to the Warden and still no apology so I started to return to my wood when I stopped and took a photo of the men and the vehicle. That really upset them!
One of them shouted that I had no permission to take photo's of them but I carried on any way as I was at a safe distance. They packed up pretty sharpish then and disappeared.
When I later spoke to the warden he said that the only people allowed to use chainsaws in their woods were the wardens and or contractors and that no contractors were working in the area at that time. I guessed they weren't contractors because they had no safety gear. Apparently the NT have a policy of not removing timber from their woodlands there unless they are clear felling or it is a valuable specimen tree, certainly not for firewood.
Hopefully now I have photographic evidence of them I won't get a repeat visit, reallyI should have informed the police but I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.
Just goes to show the mentality that people from all sections of life have over other peoples property!
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun May 11, 2014 10:06 am

I've rehearsed in my head what I would do if I encountered someone doing that in my wood, in order to be fair but firm and avoid a conflict. I'd say you have removed private property without permission. Either you apologise and pay me now at a realistic rate for the firewood you've taken (Eg £50?), or I report you for theft and press charges, its your call. If you do pay for it we'll accept you've made an error, say no more and part in a civilised fashion, and kindly don't do it again, or I'll see you in court. Fair resolution? And yes, I'd also take a picture just in case I needed evidence for future use.

The problem is when you 'own' a natural area, many people don't get the concept of private ownership of land; they may own a car or house, but how can a piece of woodland be the private domain of someone, surely its fair game to wander in and have the odd log if nobody else is around. It may seem libertine, but it can't be 'theft', after all it just grows on trees, it hasn't cost the 'owner' anything. They perhaps see it as a bit of a laugh, a bit Robin Hood. They probably don't realise how much is involved in buying a wood or maintaining it, and the sense of intrusion from unwelcome visitors.

Unfortunately its a problem which is likely to only increase, the odd loose 3ft branch on the boundary into a car boot is perhaps less serious, chainsaws and 4 x 4's is not on, that's premeditated and organised theft.
oldclaypaws

Postby Tarrel » Sun May 11, 2014 1:28 pm

And the worst thing is, if one of them had been injured while using the chainsaw, they might have tried to hold you as the landowner responsible! :roll:
Tarrel

PreviousNext

Return to General