Small Woodland Owners' Group

Cant Hooks, Levers, and manually moving big logs

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Cant Hooks, Levers, and manually moving big logs

Postby Terry » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:37 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:
Just read a good thread on Arbtalk re the benefits of a double powerhead setup for chainsaw milling and no doubt you have seen Rob's advice at Chainsawbars regarding using a hand winch for pulling the alaskan through the cut, rather than manually pushing it.

Can you find links for the double powerhead setup and Robs winch advice please Terry.
Sounds good.

Hi Paws, will have to wait till tomorrow, but the double powerhead is a current thread on Arbtalk's milling forum and there are a number of threads there talking about the hand winch.
Rob supplies the winches if you want one, but does say you can get the same thing for a tenner off ebay. I have seen him using one at a show and it is indeed a must with an alaskan - one of those ideas that is so simple and effective that nobody thought of it before :D
Terry

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:19 am

one of those ideas that is so simple and effective that nobody thought of it before

The Logosol M8 uses a hand crank, not unlike a winching action. (?)
oldclaypaws

Postby TerryH » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:59 pm

Interesting thread... we have two 14" diameter ash stems that came down in the December storm and I'm currently cutting these into 8 foot lengths. There'll be about 10 of them and I guess weight's will range from 100 to 300Kg each. Don't really have a plan worked out as to how to process them further so, for now, I've coated the ends in PVA to stop them splitting/drying out too quickly and am leaving them where they fell, but raised off the ground on some smaller logs/scraps.

I was thinking about perhaps hiring someone with one of those Woodmizer mills at some point (think we have just enough space near the entrance gate ) to turn them into planks - to be used for a small shed/building, garden fencing , posts, or whatever...
Someone mentioned using a tirfor winch with a logging arch to move big stuff around and that's what I had in mind too.. we have a path way through the wood up to the gate so I don't think it would cause too much 'eco-damage'
Just been looking at a video of the LogRite junior arch which may suit my needs and it looks like you can pull those along by hand..? Quite pricey though...

Or perhaps a DIY logging arch may be a possibility... like this fella has made http://www.downindenswood.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/logging-arch.html

I also like the idea of cleaving the logs manually that someone mentioned earlier on. I might try that on some thinner pieces from the felled tree. Wouldn't mind a rustic looking woodland shed at all...
TerryH

Previous

Return to General