Small Woodland Owners' Group

Prior Notification For Shed

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Prior Notification For Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:05 am

Ben had quite an epic planning battle which is covered in his book. He argues that those working seasonally in a coppice need shelter, used to always be allowed a structure made from simple natural materials and that it was an accepted sustainable part of woodland management. It was advocating the same philosophy that enabled him to build where he is in Prickly wood.

Times have changed and few of us will work as much in our woods as Ben. Its an interesting debate as to what the 'need' is for woodland buildings beyond housing equipment. If the loophole in the regs is abused and hundreds of us start putting up what are essentially modest holiday homes in the woods, with kitchens, beds, etc. then the planners are likely to crack down or look to get regs tightened. I intend to put up a modest fairly empty shed and use it during the day as far as possible in the spirit of the regs, storing some low value woodland related bulky items there, use it as a bolt hole during showers. Its a delicate balance between enjoying being in the woods and overstepping the spirit of the planning guideline.

Just to add I had a bit of a chat with Ben Laws who had time to offer coppicing advice and comment on some pictures I sent him. Strikes me as a decent bloke, I'm pleased he's achieved his objectives.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:00 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:
Times have changed and few of us will work as much in our woods as Ben. Its an interesting debate as to what the 'need' is for woodland buildings beyond housing equipment. If the loophole in the regs is abused and hundreds of us start putting up what are essentially modest holiday homes in the woods, with kitchens, beds, etc. then the planners are likely to crack down or look to get regs tightened. I intend to put up a modest fairly empty shed and use it during the day as far as possible in the spirit of the regs, storing some low value woodland related bulky items there, use it as a bolt hole during showers. Its a delicate balance between enjoying being in the woods and overstepping the spirit of the planning guideline.

I think your being a bit harse using the word "abused" and "holiday homes" by woodland owners, granted no one wants to see a woodland filled with mobile homes and all mod cons, but its each to their own, with what needs they want met, your own empty shed, in all honesty will not stay empty, otherwise what's the point of having it, our newly acquired caravan is no different from a shed, it'll be used to store our tents etc in, for when we camp 25 days or less, it'll be used to store tools and tinned food for our weekly visits, and somewhere to sit and have a brew, should the good old British weather change from overcast, to overcast with showers
Dexter's Shed

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:24 am

After lots of ground work including building a retaining wall I have some visible progress to report on the barn build.
I have almost finished erecting the frame which I fabricated from 3 tons of steel. And it's all been erected by myself using a 1.6 ton Tirfor winch and a handily placed Beech tree.

image.jpg
Wendelspanswick

Postby The Barrowers » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:06 pm

Why not use local sourced timber?
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:57 am

Why not local timber?

If you look at any agricultural barns, 99% use the same standard construction; steel frame and cladding, fibre cement roof. The reason is that the steel is strong, affordable and easy to put together. Scandinavian pine cladding is also cheap and if treated has a long life. Fibre cement roofs don't drip condensation as metal ones do.

I considered timber and using my own. However if I used my own oak rather than selling it, the barn would in effect cost 5 times as much and take a long time to put up. Oak beams weigh a ton and need a telehandler on site to erect safely. The important thing in agricultural buildings is often ease of construction, longevity and cost. Timber uprights can also rot in the ground and burn quite nicely if a local toerag chucks a match in the barn.
oldclaypaws

Previous

Return to General