Small Woodland Owners' Group

Prior Notification For Shed

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Prior Notification For Shed

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:29 pm

Just heard that our Prior Notification for a shed in our woods met with no objections from the planning department.
5m by 10m by 4m high.
I can get on with the building of it now!
Wendelspanswick

Re: Prior Notification For Shed

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:29 pm

Is there any stated usage/purpose in your prior notification?

Which area or local authority?
SimonFisher

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Its an agricultural barn for storage, rainwater collection, hygiene and welfare.
The hygiene and welfare portion will make up the biggest part, with storage for my tractor making up the rest.
Its going to be steel framed, clad with box profile and then timber cladding on top of that.
Divided into two sections, one for the tractor and tools and the other a rest area with a wooden floor, toilet, shower,
kitchen etc.
Last edited by Wendelspanswick on Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:37 pm

South Somerset also have no issues with me. Only two areas of concern were a) Was in within 15 metres of a dual carriageway b) would it be a danger to incoming aircraft. (I jest not).

I quoted 5m x 8m x 2.5m, they said OK. Haven't formally submitted it, but believe there's no objection. An acquaintance put up one about 10m X 15m x 4m, which is essentially a 'village hall' sized structure- no problem.

But then Somerset is a rural area where folks are pretty chilled and anything agricultural has a presumption in favour. The home counties and National Parks, you'll have to jump through hoops.
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:20 am

I did have concerns before submitting the application as we are in an AONB and a SSSI but after studying the Defra Magic Maps I discovered that 1 acre of our total holding lies outside the SSSI so that is where we proposed the siting of the building.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Binz » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:14 am

congratulations
Binz

Postby dredger99 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:55 pm

Wendelspanswick.

How big is the wood you own, i am thinking along the lines of getting permission and building a tool store/shed ;) and i have 8.5 acres so i wasn't sure what size to go for.
5m x 10m x 4m sounds ideal.
dredger99

Postby splodger » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:13 pm

if people have problems with planning here's a nice little tip (that my dad used shortly after buying our plot ): insist on keeping livestock - in his case chickens (lots of them)
not only do they need suitable "accomodation" (which can be extended and adapted at any time ;) ) you also need a dry, safe and secure feed store - so the first shed he erected was the "corn shed" - as the chicken numbers grew, so did the number of "sheds" - i'm not going to say how many there are - just we have quite a few ;)

i know livestock or chickens aren't the answer for everybody - but if you can visit the woods everyday - and have tight planning rules in your area - it's maybe an option that you could explore ;)
splodger

Postby Wendelspanswick » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:51 pm

dredger99 wrote:Wendelspanswick.

How big is the wood you own, i am thinking along the lines of getting permission and building a tool store/shed ;) and i have 8.5 acres so i wasn't sure what size to go for.
5m x 10m x 4m sounds ideal.

We have 16 acres, half wild meadows and half mature woodland. To go down the prior notification route you need 12 acres but if you could rent 3.5 acres locally that would bring you up to the correct amount, you don't have to own the land.
Our shed is 50m2 but with PN you can go up to 465m2.

Try googling Field To Farm for more info, there is a book as well.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Andy & Heather » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Not sure about the 12 acres needed.

We have just over 6 acres and went for prior notification for tracks and a 6m x 4m 'day shelter/store'. A good size for us. The larger the building, the more expensive it is to build.

If you are putting in an application it would be wise to remember toileting facilities. From what I understand, a compost loo (tree bog) is not a planning issue, but it appears from some posts that some authorities do count them as buildings.
Andy & Heather

Next

Return to General