Small Woodland Owners' Group

sporting rights

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby david t » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:49 pm

Hello hello,

I've viewed this group from afar for a while, yearning to be a SWO... and now I possibly have the chance... though there is an issue of 'sporting rights' that are reserved by a previous owner. Has anyone any experience of what this means in practice or how to go about buying them/coming to an agreement about permission and frequency etc?

yours with thanks in advance from a PFTSWO-IH (Prospective First Time Small Woodland owner - I Hope).

David

Fast answers even more appreciated as time seems to be of the essence!

david t

Postby tracy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:46 am

Hi David - Welcome and I hope you get this wood! I will ask around for some information for you- and hopefully get people to post answers soon!

Tracy

tracy

Postby tracy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:31 pm

I spoke to Simon who sells woods, and he says they tend to avoid this issue, as it can be complicated. You would want to know exactly which sporting rights and when they are going to use them. Do you really want other people and their friends wondering around your wood when you are trying to rest/ work etc. Would they have their own insurance? might they cause damage?

Worth working out a detailed plan on what they would do, when they would come and who would come with them!

Hope that helps, a little - and hopefully others will be able to help you more

Tracy

tracy

Postby chrisMM » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:18 am

Many people would say that the potential intrusion would be too much of a compromise. The shooting season is when much of the (enjoyable) work needs to be done..

chrisMM

Postby Catweazle » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:37 am

I would approach the rights owner and offer to buy the sporting rights, make it clear that you will not be managing the woods for game.

Catweazle

Return to General