Small Woodland Owners' Group

Axemen

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby RichardKing » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:13 am

Anyone else watching "Axemen" the series on channel 5. Completely crazy! Professional loggers in Oregon America. Dented aluminium hardhats like we used on rigs 30 years ag, no ear defenders, no vizors, no gloves.

Can anyone explain to me why it was neccessary to climb 30 foot up a two foot dimeter pine using spikes & rope, and fell it weilding a 24 inch chainsaw so that it crashes to the ground inches from your head ??

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:51 pm

Wow, I think I wish I had seen that! You going to try it Richard? ;-)

tracy

Postby DaveTaz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:26 pm

These guys are completely bonkers, but it makes brilliant viewing when, let's face it, there's not a lot else to watch. Apparently it is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world with (if I remember rightly) 100 deaths last year! In the first show they talked quite alot about a successful day being one where everybody came out alive!

They earn (the loggers) $15 per hour but they absolutely love it! The more I see of them the more I can see how skilled they are, how ever, they put themselves in extraordinary situations in order to get the job done

I beleive the tree in question was cut at that height for attaching a cable to for their hauling machinery - although I do think they could have done it in a safer manner

Did anyone see the episode with the helicopter pulling the winch cable up the mountain to save time. As the cable was whipping out of its 500ft coils one of the guys nearly caught his leg in it - unbeleivable!

DaveTaz

Postby athelstan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:44 pm

Wonderful series, how refreshing not to have the parasitic 'Elf 'n Safetee wallahs spoiling the fun.

athelstan

Postby mikepepler » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:27 pm

Are there clips to watch online anywhere?

Mike
------------------------------
My blog: http://peplers.blogspot.co.uk/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/mikepepler
mikepepler

Postby DaveTaz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:40 am

Try this link for information on Axe Men

http://www.thehistorychannel.co.uk/site/microsite/axmen/index.php?page=tv_listing

DaveTaz

Postby RichardKing » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:34 pm

Hey, I loved that scene last week where they notched half a dozen trees on that slope and then felled the top one ao that they all came down at once like ninepins. Plus that rogue tree that went backwards and almost took out the cameraman!

RichardKing

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:04 pm

I saw one logger felling a tree holding the chainsaw with only one hand. no wonder there are 100 deaths a year

Darren

Postby The Sawyer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:12 pm

As has been mentioned these guys are nuts. Too answer RichardKing's question the reason for climbing the tree is to rig the yarder cable up for the next lot of lifting. Some of this kit has been used in the uk (Uplands) for many years although we use smaller kit. it is also common practice to back brace the tree from which you are running the winch line to stop the tree snapping as happened in on of the shows.

Many of the bad habits you see in this show where common place in the uk until some of us saw sense, that said there is a place for HSE and a place for common sense it should be pretty obvious that if you use a chainsaw that big without knowing what you are doing someone is going to get hurt (you). I missed the last show any one know if it is available on line?

ttfn kester

The Sawyer

Postby The Sawyer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:35 pm

did any one see last nights Episode? talk about big trouble All i can say is That guy Has more guts than me and ten times the strength, that must have been a 70cc saw.

ttfn kester

The Sawyer

Next

Return to General