Small Woodland Owners' Group

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby Emma S » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi, I am Emma and I am new to this forum.

My partner and I have taken over the running of his parent's farm, which is in East Sussex. We have taken the whole farm into the Higher Level Stewardship scheme and we are hoping to be running some 'forest school' inspired school access later in the year, as well as diversifying into a bit of 'glamping' to bring in some much needed cash!

We have 6 parcels of woodland on the farm ranging from some small semi natural ancient woodland blocks, a couple of small ex plantation blocks and a bigger hornbeam wood which we are going to start coppicing. We had a guy in last week to help us develop a woodland management plan with the FC for our HLS agreement.

We are very enthusiastic about our woodlands, and want to make the most of them, whilst preserving the biodiversity, but we dont really know alot about it to be honest. We have several friends who are helping us as they have forestry experience and qualifications, so we are on a steep learning curve. Our first task is quite mammoth - we are felling about 400 trees as part of an archaeological preservation of a scheduled monument - quite hard going. If anyone wants to come and help us pile up logs and burn snedding they would be most welcome!!!

Emma S

Postby tracy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi Emma!

tracy

Postby The Barrowers » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Hello Don't worry we dont know a lot either.

Would be interested to see the 400 tree felling.

Best of Luck and keep in touch

BB

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby docsquid » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:58 am

Emma, that sounds wonderful. If you'd like to write a paragraph or two about your experiences for the newsletter, that would be brilliant.

docsquid

Postby Emma S » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:33 pm

I will try to get some photos over the weekend.

One of my 'to do' jobs is to start a blog or the like about everything we are up to.

Not enough hours in the day sadly. Spent most of this week re writng the amended planning application, getting the info together for a planning appeal, measuring tents, seeing carpet makers and trying to rearrange a missed DHL collection from Holland.

Oh, and a school trip to supervise to the woods.....

Emma S

Postby solar bud » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi Emma, welcome, I am also new and just getting started. Looking forward to reading your blog when you get it up and running!

solar bud

Return to Introductions