Small Woodland Owners' Group

Just Saying Hello To Everyone.

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby game keeper » Wed May 18, 2011 10:53 am

Hi to everyone on this amazing site, We have finally got round to becoming members at long last. As you can guess from my users name I was a game keeper for some time on a very large country estate. or as I liked to think I was a caretaker, my employer had finished with the large shooting and fishing days, as they were no longer financially rewarding enough when his son had taken over and his son never agreed or had intrest with that way of life,But I was asked to stay on to make improvements for the large variety of wild life on the estate, making improvements for the habitats, nest boxes ect. ponds and rivers, And keeping an eye on the vermin (poachers ect ) I had the dream job some poeple may say, and I was more than happy being out side from dawn till dusk, And as like everyone you start taking life for granted. But as people always say you never know whats round the corner and never a truer word said. A laps in concentration in a 500 acre wood land with a quad bike on top of you instead of you on top of the quad changes your life some what. And instead of cursing that mobile phone its the one life line you have. ( never forget that ). Anyway to cut avery long story short we are now looking for our own small wood land to purchase so my wife and my self can enjoy the life we miss so very much. As now my mobility is not so good . Take great care all and never forget that phone when you are out in your woods. John & Jess.

game keeper

Postby docsquid » Thu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Hello John and Jess - where are you based? Welcome to SWOG!

docsquid

Postby tracy » Fri May 20, 2011 6:39 am

Hi John

So sorry to hear about your accident and we hope you find your dream woodland soon! Lots of us are happy to have visitors, so, yes, do tell us where you are

Best wishes

Tracy

tracy

Postby game keeper » Fri May 20, 2011 10:13 am

Hi To All

We live in the West of Oxfordshire now in the small village, Its all good living in a tied cottage that comes with your job.And have the under standing on retirement you move into a smaller cottage on the estate to make way for your predecessor and be at hand for any help or information he may need. but with the new generation taking over the family estates, And changes some times for the good and other times for the bad their main prioritys now day are spreed sheets, yearly returns, targets and so on. and looking for the highest return from any thing on the estate that will give them a return such as barns for conversion and all the cottages to be let. The old boss man would take aday out now and then to drive around the estate with you taking an intrest in what you had done to improve habitats ect. Now the new generation stay up in London and may return for a weekend now and then. Any way you dont want to hear me pratling on about days gone by, We want to sell our house here to move to a more rural location, with a small wood thats for sale near to hand. We dont mind where as jess can work from home, and she can make shore I dont gallivant to fare in my power chair. Thank you for making us feel so welcome to your site.take care all. John & Jess.

game keeper

Postby Steve Medlock » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:26 am

My father was a gamekeeper and I've no doubt that the gamekeeper's son's life was the root of my love of woodland and the outdoors in general. Unfortunately my parents never saw my wood but I'm sure they would have liked it. Best of luck with your own search.

Steve.

Steve Medlock

Return to Introductions