Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello SWOG

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby swjk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:41 am

Hi SWOG,

My wife and I recently bought a 2/3 acre bit of woodland that came with our house, near Hailsham in East Sussex. Its pretty wild... loads of fallen trees but loads standing as well.

The wood is a mix of trees - there is oak, beech, ash and probably several others. There has been some coppicing in the past, although most of the coppiced trees have grown to a huge size.

I'm too busy to embark on any major projects as yet, but eventually would like to have it well coppiced to supply us with fuel for our woodburners. For now i am looking just to learn about how to do coppicing and how to handle a chainsaw. Can

Can any one recommend a good book or a course on coppicing? Hopefully I can come to future SWOG events and meet others doing the same.

Thanks

swjk

Postby Rich » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi there Swjk,

Welcome to SWOG!

There's lots of info out on there on coppicing, try coppice.co.uk for a start. Rebecca Oaks and Edward Mills also has a nice easy to follow guide to coppicing and coppicing crafts, it is aimed a little bit more toward the commercial side which you won't be doing if you are just looking to cut for your own stoves. I'm hoping to get a review out as soon as I've finished reading it!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby tracy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:52 pm

Hi SWJK

Great to hear from you - I bet you are excited about your woodland!

Before using a chainsaw, we strongly strongly recommend doing a course. Best guy in the area is David Rossney. http://www.esusforestry.co.uk/

His courses cover all kinds of things, including coppice bits and pieces.

Good books include Julian Evans, Badgers Blisters and beeches, Buckley's book Managing your woodland for wildlife and the BTCV book on woodlands. Sorry - not got much time right now to google links, but hope these help!

Best wishes

Tracy

tracy

Postby swjk » Mon May 02, 2011 6:48 am

Thanks very much Tracy and Rich - I'll definitely be looking in to these.

For others reference, links for two of the books mentioned are:

http://shop.btcv.org.uk/shop/level2/59/stock/957

http://www.nhbs.com/title.php?bkfno=189618&ad_id=871

swjk

Postby tracy » Mon May 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Oh and I really should have mentioned

www.coppice.co.uk !!

tracy

Postby Nigel L » Mon May 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Welcome swjk to both SWOG and woodland ownership. its such an enjoyable way to spend time.

I also endorse the benefits of a chainsaw course.

Have fun :)

Nigel L

Postby The Barrowers » Mon May 02, 2011 7:23 pm

Hello.

Welcome, it's a great way to relax and work hard in the same breath.

Chainsaws come with a lot of warnings. The saw £??? but please factor in the safety wear. Have a safe constuctive enjoy.

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Return to Introductions