Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tenderfoot!

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby Clare Rosalind » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:30 pm

I have just bought a 3 and a half acre wood in Warwickshire- mature oak and ash. I plan to make at least glades (there are about 3 areas where there are only a few trees) and at least one entirely natural pond : there are no streams in the wood. Has anyone else just dug a hole and left it? I've been interested in dragonflies for most of my life and I'd very much like to attract a few.

Clare, Oxford

Clare Rosalind

Postby RichardKing » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:59 am

Dragonflies require the stems of reeds or the like to climb up out of the water when they hatch, they wont breed otherwise. The reeds will require good sunlight and not shaded, so the southern side of the pond should be open.

RichardKing

Postby Exeldama » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:23 pm

Yep i just dug a hole...... it was on clay so i walked around it for a few hours in the dark which was very therapitic. It filled with rain water and first year the dragon flies came hunting over it... no vegetation at all at that time... so as long as they are breeding somewhere nearby they will find it... just leave it to colonise naturally. See Millions wood project on net.

Exeldama

Postby Clare Rosalind » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Thank you for your advice- will be taking it.

Clare

Clare Rosalind

Postby tracy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:19 am

welcome Clare and we look forward to hearing how it goes!

tracy

Postby docsquid » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Clare, you're not far from us. We now have 11 ponds which were all dug and left to fill - 10 of them have done so, not bad going! If you'd like to visit us and have a walk round and see what we've done, you'd be more than welcome. We're in North Warwickshire. Just give us a shout - see www.alvecotewood.co.uk for contact details.

docsquid

Return to Introductions