Small Woodland Owners' Group

Bluebells and other pictures

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby Domtyler » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:25 am

Hi all,

I'm a photographer and I'm working on a book about small woods, the people who own them and what they do in them. My idea is to devote each chapter to a particular wood, chosen to highlight a season, species, concept, craft, person, artwork or place and combined to show the rich variety of our woodlands. One of the things I'm most keen to photograph at the moment is a wood with an amazing bluebell carpet. Are any of you particularly proud of your bluebells? Would you be willing for me to visit your woods with you to see them?

Bluebells aside, I'd love to hear from any of you with woods you think I should visit. I'm looking for all kinds of woodland, whether worked for coppice or used for biodiversity surveys or just as a retreat for contemplation. I'll be careful not to give the locations of any woods featured in the book, so you won't have to worry about uninvited visitors. This is not a guide-book, more a celebration of woods.

Please get in touch if you'd like to know more. I'm hoping to meet some of you in person at upcoming SWOG events too.

Thanks and best wishes,

Dominick Tyler

[email protected]

www.dominicktyler.com

Domtyler

Postby tracy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:25 am

Great to hear from you Dominick, where abouts in the country are you looking? We have some wonderful bluebells here in Sussex!

tracy

Postby RichardKing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:37 am

I think mine look awesome, but then I'm probably biased !

RichardKing

Postby Domtyler » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:50 am

@tracy

I'm looking everywhere but I am based in London so Cornwall and the Hebrides are tricky. Sussex would be perfect. How much longer do you think your blooms will be at their best?

@RichardKing

Care to share your awesome bluebells with the world?

Domtyler

Postby RichardKing » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:37 pm

You are welcome to photograph mine.

Woods are West of Staplecross, E Sussex.

Access from the B2244

or 3 mile walk from Robertsbridge Station.

email [email protected] for further info

RichardKing

Postby DuncanB » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:57 am

If you fancy a trip to Warwickshire, my (small) wood is just south of Coventry. Bluebells are just starting to poke their heads out now, so should be in bloom over the next couple of weeks! I can be contacted on: [email protected]

DuncanB

Postby tracy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:12 pm

You can see the progress ours our making on our blog

http://peplers.blogspot.com/2011/04/more-bluebells-in-wood.html

They are not yet at their best!

tracy

Postby Domtyler » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Great response, thanks!

I shall look at my diary, a map and the weather forecast to try to divine the whens, wheres and hows.

Dom

Domtyler

Return to Introductions