Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello from West Sussex

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby hornbeam_mad » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Hello everyone, thanks for letting me join. My family recently bought 8 acres with 2 1/2 of trees just down the road from Sharpthorne. We've been looking into different ideas of what to do with our trees for a few years now and a leaning towards coppicing. The trees are mainly neglected hornbeam stools (the reason for my inspired username. as in it drives me mad!) with a few coppiced oaks, hazel, field maple, ash and an enormous crab apple. Our family and the dogs absolutely adore the woods and I would like to find a balance between pleasure, wildlife, conservation and of course firewood. We've had the High Weald AONB people round, thanks Rich, and are getting a better picture of the past present and future.

hornbeam_mad

Postby tracy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Welcome Hornbeam_mad!

Cutting hornbeam is hard work ;-) makes my husband sneeze and it is so difficult to split! having said that I think it is one of the most beautiful trees!

We look forward to hearing how you are getting on

Tracy

tracy

Postby hornbeam_mad » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:26 pm

Thankyou,

I havent found it too difficult so far. The Stihl goes through it like butter and grandads axe splits OK unless there's a knot or something but I have only been logging about ten trees so far so I may regret being so cocky.

hornbeam_mad

Return to Introductions