Small Woodland Owners' Group

New woodland owner from Essex

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby Treegrl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Hello all, I am a new owner of almost four acres of woodland in Essex which is part of a hundred acre wood. Yes, there are still a few trees remaining in Essex! The first task is building a meandering trail through the wood, which is taking a bit of time as we stop and identify fungi, plants and trees along the way. I am building a photo diary but its not accessible by others yet. I am a birder as well, and the wood is frequented by a pair of Buzzards. We had a pair of Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, and the place was lousy with Blackcaps this spring and summer. Its a lovely spot and so much fun already. Working on a management plan as well, and also still deciding the best place for a campsite. Lots to do!

Treegrl

Postby greyman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:28 am

Hello Treegrl,

Nice to hear from you and welcome to the fold. If you've not been watching from the sidelines you may not know that there is a wealth of information to be found here and there are plenty of interested and committed people lurkin' in the bushes to offer the occasional nugget of advice.

You might notice I haven't made any comments about Essex what so ever! I'll leave that to the wags around here ;~)

Greyman

greyman

Postby cinimod » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:31 pm

We are new to the woods too - so new in fact that we will not own it until tomorrow (24th September), but then we have 11 acres, which is part of 100 acres... now starts the journey - so much to learn.

Very much looking forward to the experience and developing the knowledge and managing our own bit of conservation.

Not sure what birds we have, but there are boar.

We will most definitely be taking advantage of the meetings / events.

Highly recommend going along to a woodfair or several... full of wonderful like minded people.

cinimod

Postby greyman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:46 am

A warm welcome to you too Cinimod. Feel free to post and share your thoughts with the forum. I'm sure we can come up with 101 ways to do the simplest of tasks or answers to any question you might have! So much information, so little time...

Greyman

greyman

Postby cinimod » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:49 am

First thing for us to learn to do is to build a run for the dogs... and build a kennel for them too!

cinimod

Return to Introductions