Small Woodland Owners' Group

New member (Midlands), looking for the "right" kind of woodland...

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby tracy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:31 am

I am going to be very annoying and give you more questions - we bought a woodland and then a house - so think about

If there are future oil/ energy/ food issues- what kind of place do you want to be living in? or near? Public transport links...

and houses which you can afford ;-)

We bought a woodland in the last place we looked - the SE!

tracy

Postby RobK » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:03 am

Hi, Tracey,

...LOVE questions... revelations and answers are meaningless without difficult questions... and you ALWAYS find stuff in the last place you look... especially car keys when your wife has "tidied up"...

...oops, sorry, politically incorrect tangents, again...

As a place to live, I would always prefer rural areas, as far from traffic jams as possible. Older properties with character suit me better than new shoe-box estate houses. A detatched cottage in the country with no neighbours would be great. I prefer hills and valleys to flat land. I wuold like my woodland to be part of a larger wooded area, rather than an isloated area surrounded by fields or (even woerse) residential property. Wales would be great, except for the fact that they already hate us...

I don't need much living space, unles I decide to start breeding, but I do want a good workshop for my machinery. Any reasonably large town would be good enough for the necessities. I usually have any "unusual" stuff delivered, as it is cheaper and quicker than going out of the house on a shopping trip.

Once fuel gets more expensive, I would expect less traffic, so proximity to motorways would not be so important.

My family and friends are spread from Shropshire to Lincolnshire, and S. Yorks. to Leicestershire. Anywhere in there would get me closer to some, ans further away friom others.

Lower crime rates would be attractive, too. Where don't the criminals live?

Cheers again,

Rob

RobK

Postby woodbodger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:44 am

I am sure your comment about the Welsh hating us is a bit tongue in cheek but there is a perception that incomers in Wales are despised and there is an element of truth in it: my neighbor came from Basingstoke to live here where he could afford to buy a bigger house, he doesn't mix with anybody complains about tractors and cow muck on the road, if he moved away there would be a big cheer. Conversely there are farmers woodland owners and retirees who originated in England and elsewhere who DO NOT consider themselves ENGLISH but part of the local community and we are taken for that: in my first year I made more friends here than anywhere else 50% of them have a first language of Welsh Have a look at Wales if its peace and quiet, good neighbors old houses and lovely woodland and it is not the end of the world we have all the normal super stores and DIY sheds around in Carmarthen 20 minutes away.

woodbodger

Postby Exeldama » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:27 am

Lots of good advice..... only thing i would add... is , does it feel right ?. Same as buying a house. Oh and dont forget Variety is good.... but you can add variety if its diminished due to human activities... open areas, wet areas, big trees, coppice, regeneration, rides etc etc... this is what brings greatest variety..

Exeldama

Previous

Return to Introductions