Small Woodland Owners' Group

How Far to your Wood ?

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby woodbodger » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:22 pm

Okay yes our wood is 200 yards down our own lane across the river ford and we are there but we did move from Sussex to get it. we looked after my wifes mother for years unable to move because mum wanted to stay in Sussex, she is Welsh, and then one day she developed a type of dementia that meant that she had to go into a home: we realized our opportunity, moved her into a home in Wales, put our house on the market just as the market was going into melt down and commuted weekly to Wales to see mum and salivate over this house and woods that we desperately wanted to buy, stressful but we made it and it was worth it. I do recommend moving to Wales.

woodbodger

Postby jillybean » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:15 pm

There is something to be said for not having your wood on your doorstep. I feel every day like Ive escaped to mine, the phone wont work there, and my Mother and Son are far enough away so as not to shout for me to change lightbulbs and find football kits. I need to get away from the daily chores that are ever present in the home. I have a beautiful house with a sea view, for which I should be thankful, but it just dosent do it for me. Same as woodbodger, My Dear old Mum wants to live by the sea. I would live in a caravan like a shot. and I did live in a Volkswagen bus for 8 years, so I know what a simple beautiful existence it is, I love the enclosed intricate and Cathedral like quality of the wood, and find the sea largely wet and windy. Having said that, the sunsets over the sea in summer are to die for.

jillybean

Postby Catweazle » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:08 pm

Less than a mile door to gate. Handy for walking the dogs. It's just off my route to work too, so in nice weather I have a short stroll before heading for London, or on the way home in summer. I played in the woods as a kid, and find walking through it therapeutic after a slog through London traffic.

Catweazle

Postby Francis Biley » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:14 pm

The entrance to my very small wood, of about 0.5 acre, is 15 feet from my back door :-)

Francis Biley

Postby jennysmate » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:17 pm

I used to live a couple of miles away, and would visit nearly every day. I now live 1.5 hrs away, if I go via the motorways, and only go there about once a month. I do camp in the summer and am planning to build an underground "store", so I can stay further into the autumn and spring.

jennysmate

Postby cinimod » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:45 pm

We are so very very lucky... the distance to the wood.... step out the door :-)

Still can not believe it, we are very fortunate!

cinimod

Postby Binz » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:33 am

about 75 miles, 1 hour 20 mins. But will move closer to woods when we retire / downsize.

Binz

Postby greyman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:53 am

We are about 10 minutes away and we could walk there from our house in about 30-40 minutes. I know this as we had to walk back in the dark when the keys got locked in the boot just as we were packing up after a working session. Luckily the weather was good and we saw several of the chinese lanterns floating across the sky.

Greyman

greyman

Postby MartinD » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Like cinimod, over the bridge at the bottom of the garden, and into the woodland. And like cinimod, still can't believe it - it is like a bridge into another world. (The garden is nice as well, but you know what I mean).

MartinD

Postby Meadowcopse » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:22 am

9 miles for me, but relatively near to where I lived as a child.

Pretty straight forward by car, bike, bus or tractor and not out of the way if I'm driving somewhere else in Wales or Shropshire.

It's also near a long distance path from Chester to Cardiff, although the latter never got official LDP status.

Meadowcopse

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions