Small Woodland Owners' Group

How many acres have you got?

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby Darren » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:22 am

Yeah, you want to throw that Fraxinus Excelsior on the fire. ;)

Darren

Postby Exeldama » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:29 pm

I dont boast about the size of my wood, it would dissapoint my parents, not proper behaviour.

Exeldama

Postby greyman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:58 pm

I can't say I thought it was boasting about the size of it - a question was asked and I didn't mind giving the answer. I think that most of us understand we only 'own' very small bits and pieces as a general rule. Small fish in big ponds. As they say - it's not the size of it but what you do with it!

greyman

Postby Exeldama » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:32 am

i think my humour or lack of it may have been lost.... hmmm never mind.

Exeldama

Postby DuncanB » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:01 pm

I've only got a little one (5 1/2 acres)- but have been told that size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it that counts!

DuncanB

Postby woodbodger » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm with Duncan really, I have a big one because thats the way it came it is what you do with it that counts. To continue the theme I could not service the whole lot on my own so some areas are left untouched whilst others get my full attention. Realistically for one couple to be faithful and sufficiently employed 5 acres is enough. I read somewhere that you should expect to give one weeks work per acre of woodland! I think as in hitch hikers guide it is the question we need to know and perhaps it would have been better to have asked: "what is you wood like and what are you doing with it."

woodbodger

Postby DuncanB » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:15 am

Would, of course like a much bigger one - but bought one close to home (2 miles) which is adequate for my needs - the occasional Mega-barbecue, firewood (haven't had to fell any trees yet - enough mature birch are falling down on their own for my needs!), a swing / tyre on a rope for the kids, and a 40m zip-line for the (much) older kids, a fantastic excuse to buy a whole range of lethal and impressive man-tools, first aid practice, plenty of exercise and most importantly somewhere quiet and peaceful to watch nature and hopefully retain a modicum of sanity!

DuncanB

Previous

Return to Introductions