Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello from Herts/Bucks border

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby rogerspianocat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:53 pm

We bought 14 acres of fir and pine plantation on (possibly) AWS nearly a year ago. I've got big plans, well ideas at least, including that I should give up my real job and start doing a real real job in the wood.  I recently started clearing some of an area of young Corsican pine, thick with bramble, and I'm going to plant willow there, which i'll coppice for basketry (never done it, but I'll learn) and living structures - I did a course in that. Then I want to coppice or pollard the oak, ash and hazel that's self seeded among the CPs (I'm thinking pollarding might be good as I have muntjac).  Then simply a case of finding markets for coppice materials and making furniture and so on.   

I did my 1st chainsaw course, so I've been logging a bit. Might try felling some Douglas fir soon, before nesting time. Got a pal with a CS mill, so might be able to get some beams out and build a workshop.  So much to do!!! Not enough time with a job - even if it is part time.  

There are a few pics here   http://flickr.com/gp/rogerspianocat/98r9H3 

rogerspianocat

Postby wood troll » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Welcome Roger,

Nice slideshow. Looks like you have got a pine plantation (post war?) that was planted on top of a natural native woodland that is now reasserting itself.

How about using timber in the round and save yourself a lot of work on your workshop?

wood troll

wood troll

Postby rogerspianocat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi Wood Troll. Indeed - FC planted DF and SP in 1962 (coincidentally the year that I was born) where they had chopped down mixed broadleaf. Lots of ash now, but also some elm and oak and sycamore. Also lots of hazel for me to work with - I found nuts with the field mouse hole drilled in. I was thinking I might mix and matchwith the timber. The DF is too stout to build with in the round (too heavy to lift), but there's lots of other stuff I could use green and round, unless I were going for the log cabin effect. I shall have to assemble a working party when I come to doing that I think.

rogerspianocat

Postby Darren » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:09 pm

welcome to SWOG. looks like we are in the same boat. Only I've been a house husband working to have a full time woodland way of life now that the kids are becoming more independent

Darren

Return to Introductions