Small Woodland Owners' Group

New here

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby David H » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:38 pm

Hello All,

Did forestry for about 7yrs when I first left school down here in South Devon. Now working in another sector but keen to get back to outdoor working ! Still have a keen interest in woodland and countryside skills.

Go Wild camping when I can with the Kids and other Friends hence joining and posting on here, looking to somone in the Exeter surrounding Area who has some woodland that they would allow a group of people to camp in exchange for some work in the woods, clearing deadfall, hedgelaying etc etc or a payment/rent for a section of the woods which is of no commercial value to you ?

Dave

David H

Postby tracy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi David, nice to see you here and hope you make some good contacts!

tracy

Postby John H » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:14 pm

David

As no one more local has chipped in with an offer, I will offer my comments.

Although I like the idea of getting some help in the woods there are many potential pitfalls. Liability insurance, kids or dogs running round out of control, the setting up of a hippy campsite, the locals worrying about more incomers. the list goes on, so in many ways it is easier to just be pleased when a family member can be talked into helping.

However if one could find the right person or group and strict rules were set out at the start then I think there could be benefits for all involved.

We are trying to clearfell an acre of spruce a year, also thinning hardwood and replanting, so there is plenty to do.

Is Llandovery too far from you? 3 hours drive, but into God's own country.

How often would you anticipate camping and for how long?

How many would be in your group?

John

John H

Postby John H » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:18 pm

A photo to show you it is worth the 3 hour drive.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JRQp5RQK6rLuLIc-B3igCg?authkey=Gv1sRgCJHy3f294Km-yQE&feat=directlink

John H

Postby David H » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi John,

Thats a great looking landscape you have there, having spoken to my two other camping friends, it's a bit too far for them at the moment, due to work commitments and only having time for one night stay over.

If I came back to the offer at a later date, there would only be three to four of us, we camp under green/dpm tarps, so we are discreet and at the most the duration would be about four days, maybe once or twice a year.

it's a shame your not just around the corner, you'd be hard pushed to get rid of me !

Again thanks for the offer and best wishes for this years work plan you have

David

David H

Return to Introductions