Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello and some questions!

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby MartinD » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:46 am

plus point : if the woodland requires management to improve and increase biodiversity, grants are often available from the Forestry Commission. Although they only cover a theoretical 50% of the costs, much of the work can be done yourself - no receipts required - just evidence that the work has been done. This can then be put against work where you need to bring in professional help. The Forestry Commission are also very good at providing advice on what would benefit the woodland.

negative point : depending on where the woodland is, it might be protected either by a Tree Protection Order, or by its status an an SSSI or 'area of outstanding natural beauty' etc. This type of protection can limit the value you can extract from the wood in terms of 'products' - although the FC grant / felling licence overrides the effects of a TPO.

plus point : value = priceless. I bought my woodland without reference to sites like this, and at the time my main thought was to protect my house from unwanted activities in the woods immediately behind me. I paid £5,000 per acre for 5 acres, although there was a total of 50 acres for sale - in hindsight, I wish that I had bought more. When I'm standing in the woodland looking at bluebells, or watching the setting sun, or listening to the bird song, the nearest feeling I can compare is the first flush of teenage love - but it's every day!

negative point : it's hard work. Even felling a 'small' tree involves an awful lot of clearing up. The tree is down in minutes, but the brash can take the rest of the day.

MartinD

Postby Kentish Man » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:41 am

Thanks again for your answers.

MartinD - I'd snatch your hand off for 5 acres costing £5000! Presumerably, that was a long time ago?

The woodlands I'm looking at, to show the diference, is just over £4500 an acre! Which seems crazy in comparison. Hence, my slight trepidation in taking the plunge.

In conclusion, as I guessed, the value of these things is quite subjective. How on earth can one put a price on owning a slice of nature?

Kentish Man

Postby MartinD » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:12 am

Kentish Man - £5,000 per acre - I paid £25,000 for the 5 acres, and only a couple of years ago. Your price seems quite reasonable. But as I said, priceless!

www.woodlands.co.uk has a selection of woodlands available, and these appear to vary from £3,000 to close to £10,000 per acres, depending on whereabouts in the country, ease of access, etc - but for that they are putting in access tracks, fencing etc.

MartinD

Postby Kentish Man » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Whoops - I really must learn to r-e-a-d! Sorry about that. Well, its encouraging to hear that the price isn't too bad - the acreage on offer is a fair bit more than your woodlands, but then, I guess with all things, the more you buy, the better the discount on the unit price! But as you say, its priceless really.

Kentish Man

Postby Kentish Man » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks also for the offer jillybean - I'm not too far away from you by the sounds of it - great website by the way!

Kentish Man

Previous

Return to Introductions