Small Woodland Owners' Group

Open Days

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby docsquid » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Just wanted to say Hi to everybody. We own 11 acres of ancient semi-natural oak woodland just outside Tamworth in Staffordshire (the woods are in Warwickshire, which can sometimes be a problem). We are managing this for wildlife, trying to improve it after about 20 years of neglect. It has been an uphill struggle but we feel we are making progress although we would very much like to involve community groups more - if anybody has any tips on how to get schools interested, please let us know (we have contacted Forest Schools but the training is very expensive).

We are not open to the public all the time but we do hold Open Days and you would be most welcome to come if you are in the area. The next ones are on Sundays 27th September and 8th November. Details are on our web site www.alvecotewood.co.uk

Best wishes

Sarah

docsquid

Postby greyman » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:20 pm

Welcome Sarah,

I thought we'd been spammed - you've been busy on the forum which is good to see. Feel free to ask any questions or give views and advice - never to old or clever to learn. I am sure Tracy will be in touch and would welcome any articles you might like to send in to her for the news letter.

Greyman

greyman

Postby tracy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:22 pm

Thanks for livening things up Sarah, Greyman thought he had scared everyone off. Good to see you. For schools, you will need some training I would think. I am a teacher, so I have a school visit the wood through that. You are right about Forest School training, although I am thinking of doing it this year...

tracy

Return to Introductions