Small Woodland Owners' Group

MattB, Staffordshire

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby MattB » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:21 am

Hi,

I'm not actually a woodland owner but have taken over the management of 10 acres of farm woodland owned by my old scout group. The wood is located near Stafford and is a mixture of native species mostly of a similar age. There has been very little in the way of management over the years and there is fairly poor access. I intend to rectify this over the coming years and I'm currently putting together a management plan for the wood.

I'm a tree surgeon by trade but have just finished studying Horticulture at university. I wouldnt say i know all that much about woodland management but I'm doing my reading. I'm lucky enough to have access to a fair amount of volunteer labour and equipment when things need getting done. From what I've seen so far on these forums I've learned a lot of what isnt written in the books and hope to keep gleening this useful information and in time put some of it back!

Matt

MattB

Postby tracy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi MattB, welcome, and we look forward to hearing lots from you on how you are getting on!

tracy

Postby docsquid » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Dear Matt. You are quite near us, and sound like you start from a similar position to us, albeit with more formal education and training in the area of looking after trees than we had. I am a retired doctor and my husband studied physics then worked in IT for years before going it alone with a security products business. We are both keen on wildlife conservation and have been active in this area for many years.

If you want to get in touch with us, visit our wood, look at our management plan or pick our brains, please do get in touch. Details on www.alvecotewood.co.uk

One day we will put more information on our web site to help new woodland owners - at the moment we're just busy in the wood!

docsquid

Return to Introductions