Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hi - another Welsh wood-owner

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby stevenlisa » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:00 am

Hi all

We have just bought our woodland just over the border in Monmouthshire - Coed Corras from woodlands.co.uk. About 6 acres of self-set silver birch = millions of trees!!!!

Much thinning to be done.

Look forward to joining in here.

Steve n Lisa

Edited to add - we're from Worcester so not too far to go.

stevenlisa

Postby tracy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:28 am

Lovely to meet you stevenlisa! Look forward to hearing how you are getting on

tracy

Postby John H » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi

Good to have another Welsh Woodland on here. Ours are at the west end of the Brecon Beacons.

We like photos!!

John

John H

Postby stevenlisa » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:05 am

Hi John

Hastily uploaded - will sort out better ones in the next few weeks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157619527733248/

We're the other side of the beacons to you.

Lisa

stevenlisa

Postby John H » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:40 pm

Nice photos. Yes it looks like you have plenty of work ahead of you . What are your plans foryour wood?

John

John H

Postby stevenlisa » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Plans....

hmmmm...

:-)

At the moment we are just clearing a space for tents and sunbathing, having measured 1/2 acre in from all sides. We have a pentagonal shaped plot with a footpath cutting through the top 'point' - this we are leaving because a: we have plenty to do on the rest and b: we have wildlife here (muntjac plus either badgers or foxes or both). The boys have chosen a plot each to clear/make a den.

Beyond that we're not sure at the moment. I have been reading all the stuff sent by Small Woods assocation and Royal Forestry but a lot of it is going over my head - Steve definitely isn't interested in the technicalities of forestry!

Overall aim of the wood is family enjoyment and we don't expect to make any money at all from the wood etc so are not treating it as 'crop' or anything.

Hope this makes sense. I've had a look at your tractor videos and I think you are in a completely different league!!!

Hahaha

Lisa n Steve

stevenlisa

Postby tracy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi Steve and Lisa,

Some are in a different league, but you will find that most SWOG folk are more like you - and it just happens that those who love their 'boys toys' also like chatting on forums!

So, come and join us here, and talk about things other than tractors... love to see some photos of the dens your boys have made!

Tracy

tracy

Postby John H » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:20 pm

Yes, a man has to have his toys, the only problem with woodland is that once you have one toy you realise how useful it is you want another one. A tractor is useful but it is even better if you have a sawbench to fit on the back. Then you need a trailer to get the logs to the sawbench, but the tractor is powering the saw so you need another tractor to pull the trailer.Then you find you need to winch........

However large or small your woodland I would recommend reading Oliver Rackhams books. I prefer the woodland section of his "The History of the Countryside" compared to his "Woodlands" book which I found a bit heavy going.

John

John H

Postby stevenlisa » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:10 am

Thanks for the recommendation re books. You sound like Steve - he likes his 'toys' too. Maybe it's a man thing. :-)

Lisa

stevenlisa

Postby adam » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi Steve & Lisa,

I'm a bit of fraud here ... I don't own a woodland yet but hope to soon. There are 2 other woodlands for sale a little further up the access track than your Coed Corras that I hope to take a look at this weekend. I'd love to hear how you got on with your purchase and any if you have had any issues ... any chance you could drop me an email to [email protected]thepub.cx?

Thanks,

Adam.

adam

Return to Introductions