Small Woodland Owners' Group

A wee hello.

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby Exeldama » Fri May 15, 2009 4:31 pm

I am in the process of buying a wood (i think). Started searching 15 years ago with my then wife,then that sort of went a funny shape and i had a breather. Now i have started again and am going it alone which is a bit scarey.

I have two small children whom are behind me, well its a joint effort really and will be theirs as much as mine.

I am currently going through the buying process, but get second thopughts abput the peice i am getting and that worries me.

Its 10 acres in sussex, a mixed bag with some standards, plus chestnut coppice (overstood), an area of conifers, natural regeneration (birch and scots pine), potential for a wildlife wetland area.

Its quiet, (perhaps too quiet, being on my own i dont want to end up isolated and a hermit). I guess also given i work for a charity and am therefore not rich, the cost bothers me, it will take me years to pay off..........can i have some thoughts on wether im nuts or just marginally insane which is ok. Tips on buying..??

Oh and its 100 miles from where i live, but 15 from my `bigger family, the plan being that eventually i will return to my sussex roots. Thanks.

Exeldama

Postby tracy » Fri May 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi Exeldama, welcome! It is very daunting buying a wood, but I don't know anyone who has regretted it, and the fact that it is near family is a great thing. Being quiet is good too - lots of folk get frustrated by woodland walkers, trespassers etc, and I bet your family don't let you go there on your own too much!

It sounds like a lovely mixture too- and the wonderful thing about a wood is that you can just leave it to grow til you can visit it again. It won't go like my allotment and get weeds!

Once you have bought it, there are a lot of helpful people who will come and wonder around with you and share their tuppence worth of insights - always useful to get a range of people to chatter to.

Good to meet you!

Tracy

tracy

Postby Exeldama » Fri May 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Thanks Tracy. I have soooooooooooooooooo many questions but for now i will plan,.... i just want to get started.

I grew up coppiccing with my dad and tidying a wood...you know the burnt sausages, bramble cuts and , dripping rain..love it. Now i shall inflict it on my children..ha ha. ( i said the last bit in a demonic tone).

On the plus side i am a worker, the more i do the happier i will be.... loads of ideas and enthusiasm. catch you soon.

Exeldama

Postby Darren » Fri May 15, 2009 6:08 pm

You might be marginally insane, but your in good company here ;)

I brought my woods and never look back. So much so I'm in the process of buying another 6 acres 2oo mt away from the first. Scots pine, but with some lovely old Hornbeam coppice at the back

Darren

Postby The Barrowers » Fri May 15, 2009 6:14 pm

Hello We have 8 acres of standards,self seeded silver birch and sweet chestnut about 110 miles from where we live, but not a problem, though you need to plan. We tend to stay 3 days at a time which is great as you really get things done (if thats what you want) or more time to do nothing. We have felled 1 acre of the 3 acres of overstood sweet chestnut which is better than going to the gym and no subscription but fresh air (except 2 stroke fumes or you could do it conventionally) Even woods that seem far from population are subject to the zoosh of car noise and wanderers who think they have the right to (tresspass)visit your wood and dog walkers. There are costs that will occur as you progress such as Wheelbarrows as every thing needs moving around (hence our name)tent, chainsaw, axe, knot tying book, kelly kettle £40 ish. You can do it cheap or lots of money ie a whittling knife £200 plus. The kids will benefit from the scratches and fresh air and the skills wooding gives them. Cost wise, well if it just about bankrupted us we still have no regrets. Just remember " a shroud has no pockets" just enjoy it. The Barrowers

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Binz » Mon May 18, 2009 6:23 am

Hi Exeldama

I bought 6 acres (mainly overstood chestnut with oak standards) in Kent about 70 miles from me (Hampshire), but 10 miles from other family (parents, brother, etc) and yep, will move back to be near their once i can. see http://ewar-woowar.blogspot.com/ One benefit of the wood being in that location is that i see that part of my family more often. Your wood sounds pretty good to me, it has variety which is a good thing in my view; bits to retain/maintain, and bits to more activily manage/improve.

Re safety; i only fell trees if there is someone else with me (just in case i end up unconscious or whatever).

good luck

Binz

Binz

Postby Stephen1 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:44 am

Hi Exeldama

Diagnosis - Definately sane!

When you think 5 acres of woodland will probably cost you less than an extra 12' square box room in an average house - then the wise person's choice becomes obvious!

The reality is that there are so few woods available to buy, that even in the well-wooded S.E. of England it's hard to find one of the type that's right for you near to where you live. If you try and wait for your perfect wood to come up on your doorstep, then the years will pass and you'll come to realises what a short blink of time we humans get - especially compared to the life of a wood. As you say you can always move later - I believe the easiset way to realise the dream of living near your own woodland is to buy the wood and then move house. I lived in a tipi and then a caravan in our woods for over a year before eventually buying a hovel on the edge of it!

Best wishes

Stephen

Stephen1

Postby tracy » Mon May 18, 2009 9:29 am

and you could always do what we did - buy a wood and then move nearer to it, that same year!

tracy

Postby Exeldama » Mon May 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Thanks for all advice.

Exeldama

Postby The Barrowers » Mon May 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Hi

Yes you are sane, As to Stephens reply tipi, caravan etc its back to the longer debate as to structures note: SWOGS July Meeting and discussions. If you are not near you need to be able to tend your wood so staying over may be needed.

ps. I will only fell trees accompanied as if I am lying under one, our mobile signal is rubbish and I would be dead before they found me

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Next

Return to Introductions