Small Woodland Owners' Group

New to the fold, woodland owner in Kent

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby jillybean » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:23 pm

Greeting fellow wood lovers !

I was too cautious to join before I completed on the wood, as you know its a long and winding road, but I have over compensated somewhat by resigning from my day job when i knew it was mine. I cannot wait to meet you all and learn the practicalities, as so far all I have done is read books.

If there any other woodies in south Canterbury way, I would love to meet you. I am near Stelling Minnis, and my first job is to get a suitable motor, after that, its looking at the wood. I love the forum, and find SWOG a valuable resource. what a marellous thing the Internet is.

About the wood. Its SSSI ANOB with a TPO and BMB ( blooming marvellous Bluebells) and 10.5 ish Hectares.

jillybean

Postby tracy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:51 am

Wow, Jilly, brilliant, is the wood now your main job? If so, there are some excellent grants available for training courses in woodland work... as long as you do 50 % of your work in the wood. Let me know and I can send you in the right direction. Very exciting and what a nice time of year to own it!

I am also currently talking to a FC officer who is focussing on helping people with SSSI, more to come soon hopefully. keep in touch

Tracy

tracy

Postby jillybean » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:11 pm

Hello Tracy, Yes, the wood is my Day job now, I am going to suffer financially but I need soul food rather than revenue. Took the family there for the first time today, and Im still smiling.

Ive just got to slow down and stop making plans.Have to say i feel very reassured to hear your support, I dont feel daunted by it but a little confused as where to start. I have decided to fix the drooping gate first, that way i cant get into too much trouble,and Yes Id love to go on some training courses. Thank you so much for your guidance, I really need it!

jillybean

Postby tracy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:01 am

Jilly, contact David Rossney of Esus forestry, [email protected]

He will happily talk to you about grants and training for woodland workers. (and anyone else)

tracy

Postby jillybean » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi Tracy that's great, thank you so much Ill get straight on to him. Ive been doing a tree survey, the dominant species seems to be oak, the feather leaf one, followed by beech. then birch, holly, and then I ran out of steam. found a badgers sett too. Anyone got any top tips for removing brambles from the footpath? Ive got enough in my budget for a brushcutter, is that the best tool or does it just chop em up and make em worse?

jillybean

Postby stephen cabrol » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:11 am

Hi, I own a company that supplies mmachinery for small woodland / forestry, some of our products may be of help to you in the future. I am also happy to try and locate any new or used machinery or offer advise on repairs and maintenance. Have a look at www.alpinetractors.com

stephen cabrol

Postby jillybean » Sat May 02, 2009 5:59 am

Thanks stephen you have some Impressive machines! I will wait for the Council to walk the wood with me, as there is a TPO but hope to restore the coppice cycle in the winter.

jillybean

Postby Underwoodsman » Sun May 03, 2009 8:51 am

Jilly If you haven't been in contact with your local Forestry commision officer it would be a good idea. They will be only too pleased to advise you on management, as the site is a SSSI you will need a management plan agreed with the FC before you do too much anyway, there may already be a plan in place you didn't say. A management plan will also reasure the local authority that your intentions are good and you know what you are doing. Thinking about it if you are geeting the local council to walk round with you having the local FC officer there as well would be very useful for all concerned.

John W

Underwoodsman

Postby SilvaEnergy » Sun May 03, 2009 6:36 pm

Hello Jilly

When you restore the coppice cycle to your woodland will you be looking to sell the wood? My new company, Silva Energy Ltd, is looking to secure future fuel supply for our proposed biomass CHP plant and would like to offer you a very competitive price for your wood. We would also be very willing to help you undertake the coppicing, 'many hands make light work'! If you are interested please contact me via [email protected]

All the best

Peter

SilvaEnergy

Postby jillybean » Sun May 03, 2009 7:17 pm

Well this is all Very positive ! Thank you . I am calling the Forestry comission tuesday as they have not replied to my emails. as soon as i clarify things with the authorities I will be making a 5 year plan, and having a picnic . I have made a note of your email silva and should I be allowed to restore the coppice I wil call you

jillybean

Next

Return to Introductions