Small Woodland Owners' Group

Morning all.....

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Morning all.....

Postby vushtrri » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:28 am

I've been wanting a small woodland site for years and now finally have one in the bag and what's more my dear wife is onboard with the whole idea.....without any conditions!!! Hopefully all should be completed in a few weeks and then I can get down to a bit of tree hugging! It's a 6 1/2 acre plot some 33 miles away so well within striking distance. I'm sure I shall soon be asking for all manner of advice.
vushtrri

Re: Morning all.....

Postby smojo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:49 am

Congrats and welcome. I only acquired mine this year so I know how you must be feeling. What part of the country is it situated roughly?
smojo

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:49 pm

Congratulation (no conditions, well done ) View slowly and both of you really enjoy. Time takes a different dimension so don't rush any ideas.
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:01 pm

welcome to the wonders of owner a woodland, nothing better, where abouts is your plot
Dexter's Shed

Postby Landpikey » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:49 pm

vushtrri wrote:onboard with the whole idea.....without any conditions!!!

Welcome to woodland ownership - you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier!

One thing - is it your wife on board without any conditions or have you bought the wood without any conditions (covenants)? On here a few people have covenants on their woods that are to prevent anti social behavior.

A lot of the advice on here will be to do nothing major for the first year with plenty of observing, learning and getting the feel of your wood. I took the advice and it's worked out well for us. But it's your wood and nobody can tell you what to do (within reason) which is one of the wonderful reasons for owning a wood.

If you think the spending is over with the purchase and solicitors fees - wait until you read the "wish lists" in the forum..... :D

Plenty of advice already on the forum that is easily searchable and also lots of different perspectives too. You can spend hours reading previous posts.

Good luck - the fun has only just begun. :lol:
Landpikey

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:51 pm

You also have the delight of studying the history if you wish. Ours was great
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby vushtrri » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:01 pm

Ha ha...it's the wife who has imposed no conditions with the site having the usual covenants with which I have no problem! The site is in nth Wales only about 40 mins from where we live so easy regular access.
vushtrri

Postby vushtrri » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:11 pm

As for me wish list, luckily I have a chainsaw already having been using one for the last 20 years though the school where I work have said they will fund a course for me in return for taking a few kids there for the day every couple of weeks,,even said they would also pay for a week long Ray mears course! Also have brush cutting gear, bill hook etc that I use at the school and a few other bits and bobs..... The missus has just presented me with two books...one on coppicing and one on small shelters...says she wants something comfortable!
vushtrri

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:17 am

vushtrri wrote:..says she wants something comfortable!

better buy an old caravan then to leave there, trust me, I/We started off with hammocks, great for hot summer evenings, then we went to a 4m bell tent, now a caravan, and a "bigger one" is now on the wish list,
Dexter's Shed

Postby Binz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:02 am

Is that chainsaw training or forest school?

in case you haven't seen it already, there's info on forest school training at http://www.forestschoolassociation.org/ ... s-trainer/
Binz

Next

Return to Introductions