Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello. Looking for our woodland

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Re: Hello. Looking for our woodland

Postby Binz » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:03 am

we were evicted from our hole in the bog
Binz

Postby Campievanner » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Well we went and saw wood number 3 on Sunday - great access, we could see the potential of how we could develop it to our needs although slightly further than ideal.
Got home from work on Monday to have a chat together over and see if we wanted to take it any further and yes it had a "sold" note on it on the website.
The search continues but at least we got to have a good old walk around the wood in the fresh air and cooked brunch in the layby so still a good day.
Campievanner

Postby Campievanner » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:55 pm

Well another couple of weeks of looking at a few more woods, and we are busy with the paperwork to buy 4.5 acres in Yorkshire - hooray !

Funnily enough the one we hope will be ours (all being well) is one we thought was not at the top of our list so glad we had seen others first.

It is about 1.5 hours away although there is a bit of a diversion due to a closed road. Not far off the motorway.
The access to the piece of wood is really good for the camper.

Lots of birds flying in and out whilst we were there - probably the most variety we have seen in any of our visited woods.

We got talking to a lovely gentleman who owns one of the adjacent plots (and lives close by) who was able to tell us lots of information - if it was anyone on here, Thank you for your assistance and hopefully we should be seeing lots more of you. There were people working in their bits too but got too dark to go and talk to more.

So with a bit of luck we will have the key before Christmas then lots of brambles to tackle. We have 2 jobs to do initially - tidy up the parking area then make a couple of paths through.
Campievanner

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:27 pm

If the road closure is at Sprotbrough River Bridge, then I believe Smojo from the SWOG forum is a neighbour. Nice woods. Roadworks last until end of January. (?) Congrats.
oldclaypaws

Postby Campievanner » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:02 pm

Good detective work Mr Claypaws :D
Campievanner

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:01 pm

Before completing, you might want to familiarise yourself with all facts and risks surrounding Phytophthora ramorum, it is a major risk currently decimating the UK's Larch trees. It started in the West Country but has spread rapidly as far as Scotland, and is windborn, spread steadily Eastwards. I'd be a bit nervous of a wood consisting of predominantly Larch, it might be sold at a cheaper price /acre than other species at a 'bargain' price, the sellers being aware that Larch is currently considered rather vulnerable. If you got hit, you might end up with a 'Quarter' of your trees left? :o
oldclaypaws

Postby boxerman » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 pm

with a 'Quarter' of your trees left?

That was subtle.... :mrgreen: Just as a matter of interest, what's the difference between Larch and Japanese Larch?
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:34 pm

Ramorum particularly hits JAPANESE Larch, infact its often referred to as ' Japanese Larch Disease'. Down our way the FC have been very busy felling virtually all the Japanese Larch, and I think its spreading up North.....

Japanese larch is bluer than European, probably reflecting its mood as much as colour.

Back in say, the early 1950's, it was common practice to densely plant conifers such as Japanese Larch and Corsican Pine. Its now been realised that such monoculture planting makes them susceptible to disease. Ramorum is associated with rhododendron, and there may be more in the damp West, but the disease has spread rapidly as far as Wales and Scotland in a very short time, millions of Larch have been hastily felled. Corsican Pine has also been hit by Needle Blight, hence why you often see Larch and Corsican Pine plantations recently thinned to try and lower their vulnerability to the disease, although in many cases its proven too late...

Just something to think about....

Having Japanese Larch trees is a bit like being a Burnley supporter, you never know, they might be lucky and stay up, but the bookies are currently offering 5:1 on odds that they are going to go down in the near future.

Don't want to scare you, but I think you should know these things and give them careful consideration before doing anything that might potentially prove costly and disappointing. Can't tell you what to do, but I'm cautious by nature and its been a good strategy, they do say better safe than sorry.

Caveat Emptor.
oldclaypaws

Postby Whatisheatnow » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:30 pm

If you examine the end of a twig of Japanese larch you will see a purple tint not found on European Larch. Of course there are hybrids to confuse.
Whatisheatnow

Postby smojo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:43 am

oldclaypaws wrote:If the road closure is at Sprotbrough River Bridge, then I believe Smojo from the SWOG forum is a neighbour. Nice woods. Roadworks last until end of January. (?) Congrats.

Hi Campie - congrats, I know how excited you must feel and yes I will be a neighbour but it wasn't me you spoke to. There are a few locals. I bought mine this June and have quite a lot of knowledge of the wood and area now so if you want any advice please PM me. It is a nice wood and nice area. Looks like some nice riverside walks to be had in summer too. I love mine.

If the road closure is at Sprotbrough River Bridge, then I believe Smojo from the SWOG forum is a neighbour. Nice woods. Roadworks last until end of January.

The road bridge closure is now open again but with traffic lights. Which way will you be coming from? I found a better route anyway if coming from North A1. Take Junc 37 and double back under the A1 from the Donc road. I can give you proper directions if you want.

Whats the name of your wood (best to PM me to keep things private from the interweb)

We have just had some meetings with Woodland Trust and so far there is no sign of the larch disease in that area. It's creeping across from the North West, Lancashire and Cumbria I believe. One thing to think about though is making sure you don't bring it in. So if you've visited other woods in those areas where there might be some, please make sure you wash your boots, hose down your car tyres before going into them. Seems a bit anal but worth the precaution. You would be miffed if you introduced the disease to the woods you've just bought :(

I created a private forum specifically for owners in the wood so when you complete, let me know and I'll give you details if you want to join us.
smojo

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions