Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello from West Yorkshire

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Hello from West Yorkshire

Postby hamstersLair » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:28 am

Hello all. We've had an interest in owning a wood for some time now, looked at a couple a few years ago and never did anything. Recently we've seen 7 woods in 3 different places, and have been back to a couple of these three times now for a better look. So I was hopeful, but we are a democracy of course, the type where I rarely get to do what I want and thus we stand, woodless.

Said democracy being a union of minds and opinions came up with a few sticking points currently barring further delving into woodland acquisition... most can be discarded. For example, health - I reckon one's health will improve dramatically living and working outdoors, at least for a couple of days a month. Travel is another - the place we saw is about 50 miles away and takes an hour by road at 58MPG, not bad... I think I can field that one. And I did delete the 4x4 tractor and front loader from my wish list. But I'm keeping the lumberjack shirt on back order.

However, the primary sticking point for us is not affordability but value on paper. So for that, a question. I realise the answer to this is probably zero given why this forum exists but has anyone actually sold a wood and/or how likely is it that the value would be 'at least' the same as the initial purchase price? The main vendors all indicate that in general the price of resale of a wood is typically the same or greater than the initial purchase price. I must stress that this is not one of my criteria, but is a sticking point for us. My view is that once purchased, a wood has far greater value in its use as a family resource being passed down through generations. I.e. if I had one, I'd never sell it. But the question nags, let's say we had to sell everything and move, is the gut feel that the resale value of a wood would only increase?

(I tried to make this at least a little amusing by way of an intro post! I hope one day to be posting "here's our new small wood")
hamstersLair

Re: Hello from West Yorkshire

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:27 pm

this is 2nd hand, but a neighbouring plot owner had a sloping woodland, bought for £25k and sold 2yrs later for £35k,
I cant ever see you losing money, unless maybe if you clear felled it, but more and more people want to live the dream, and good plots are getting fewer by the day
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:59 pm

I bought my wood about 30 months ago, since when my cash 'savings' have lost about 5% versus inflation, and woodlands have gone up by around 25%, perhaps more.

If I won the lottery (tricky when you don't buy tickets), and I had nothing better to do with the dosh, I'd have no hesitation putting the lot into woods and forests. You can't lose. You enjoy them, they are wonderful places to visit, you get fitter and free fuel, and with demand for leisure woodlands, timber and biofuel the prices are increasingly rapidly.

When I started looking for a wood about 6 years ago, deciduous was about £7 k an acre, its now nearer £12K.

Apart from all the numerable pleasures to be had from a wood (and you'd never sell, they bond to your soul), I'd say from a purely financial investment point of view woods are probably one of the most sensible places to put your cash at the minute, and many professional investment advisors would echo the same. The rich put a lot into forestry, the tax breaks are highly favourable and a good long term return is virtually guaranteed. The cash value of wood itself as a natural resource is increasing rapidly, just ask your local log lads whats happened to prices over the last few years.

TimberlandChart.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:12 pm

I'm in West Yorkshire too and bought my wood this year and had similar thoughts. So to answer a few questions based on my little experience so far. I'm retiring age and have joint problems and not the fittest person in the world but already I feel stronger just from the bramble bashing and log sawing. I also live 50+ miles away but it takes about an hour and a quarter and I just try to enjoy the trip too. If I waited for a wood nearer home, it would never have happened. So if you really want it, go for it. You'll be lucky to find the perfect wood (Old Claypaws might be the exception) and valuable time is passing. I have seen prices shooting up in the few months I have been looking so as well as the woods gaining value if you already own one, they are becoming more expensive to buy the longer you wait.
smojo

Postby hamstersLair » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks guys, really useful comments and info, fingers crossed!
hamstersLair

Postby calvertwood » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:05 pm

Hello, hamsterslair. Are you by any chance from Leeds? And did you visit Kiplin Woods with your family a few weeks ago? If so, I think you and I met, twice. Anyway...

I went through the same due-diligence process as you. After I retired I had a small pot of capital and suddenly found, after 20 years of wishing, that I could afford a wood. But, as you say, in a family democracy a decision of that sort has to be shared around. In my case it wasn't too difficult. I initially put the money into a savings account, and after a few years it had earned two-thirds of five-eighths of nothing at all. Seeing the wood in that context made it more attractive as a capital asset. Seeing it as a source of wood-fuel in the context of Peak Oil (with Peak Shale probably just a few years behind) made it attractive in cash-flow terms. And finally, although my wife doesn't quite share my enthusiasm for doing lumberjacky stuff, she has developed a real enthusiasm for forest gardening, and now, at last, has somewhere to put the theory into practice; so there's another attraction. And finally finally, she and I have both satisfied ourselves that if I pop my clogs before she does, which tends to be how it goes, then re-selling the wood, if that's what she wants to do, will be no more difficult than selling a house, and probably a good deal less so. So, likely to appreciate, likely to earn or save us money, likely to entertain us, and transferrable - what's not to like?

So we took the plunge, and our family democracy is happy that we are behaving responsibly with regard to our children's and grandchildren's future inheritance. I hope you come to the same conclusion.
calvertwood

Return to Introductions