Small Woodland Owners' Group

We're nearly there....

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

We're nearly there....

Postby Sair33 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:13 pm

We're nearly there... the woodland that we've always dreamt of owning (but never really thought we would) is almost within our grasp. Just a bit of negotiation to do now!

Excited is not the word... I've already 'moved in' and planned the things we'll do over the next few years.... the strimming, the clearing, the camping, the shooting, the cooking, the days with friends.... the sitting and watching and listening to the nature around us.

But there's also a certain amount of trepidation.... are we doing the right thing?!
Some of our friends have looked at us quizzically, while trying their best to look pleased, when we told them our plans ('one tree short of a woodland' sprung to mind).
Are we taking on too much? Will we be able to look after it and care for it as well as we should? And will we actually use it and enjoy it as much as we're hoping?

Who knows! Time will tell, but I'm very much looking forward to finding out.....
I've already been reading these forums with interest, and look forward to becoming part of the SWOG community, and joining you like-minded nutters who thought it might be a good idea to own a bit of our beautiful countryside :-)

And helpful advice for a newbie much appreciated!
Sair33

Re: We're nearly there....

Postby boxerman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:45 pm

Welcome..... I'm fairly new around here too but I'm probably a couple of years away from realising my 50 year old dream.

When I first came here I was full of doubts as to the madness of the dream but most of those fears were quickly dispelled by the folk around here and I came to the conclusion that maybe I wasn't mad after all.

Do a search for smojo's posts (another newbie who actually got his keys last week) and you'll find answers to most of your questions - he'd certainly asked most of those in my mind.
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby davetb » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi,
Welcome. You'll make loads of mistakes, but buying your wood will NOT be one.
Our wood is much bigger than we planned - we looked for 5 acres and bought 39.
If we didn't visit for 10 years it would 'do fine'.
No one had touched our wood for 30-40 years prior to our purchase & it was beautiful.
You only need a clearing and a path to reach it.
Sitting having a beer / wine by a fire, 'paralysed' by the amount of work possible, is usual.
If I gave up work, cloned myself into 10 people and worked full time, in the wood, I still would have things to do.
Never coppice 'downhill' was our first mistake, I had my Achilles calcify from pulling half an acre of hazel coppice uphill.
Don't build a treehouse on elm (thinking it was hazel), was our second. The beetle soon killed the trees. However, 5 years later it's still sound.
My advice is.....
Sit & enjoy & relax.
Best wishes, Dave
davetb

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:58 pm

welcome to the forum, in what part of the country are you buying, I know you may not want to name it, till it's signed,sealed and delivered, but a ball park area?
Dexter's Shed

Postby dredger99 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:59 am

Welcome to the group.

I doubt very much if you will regret your decision, i still wonder around my wood wondering why i never did it years ago.

As i am sure you are aware already there are a plenty of smart people on this forum only to willing to help with experience or advice.

If i can give just a snippet of advice it would be to take your time and get to know your woods before undertaking any great tasks.

anyhow once again welcome to the group / Asylum ;)
dredger99

Postby Sair33 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks everyone :-)
....offer accepted today, woohoo!!!! :D :D :D

Fingers crossed the final stages go smoothly ;)
Sair33

Postby Terry » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:04 am

Hi & welcome
not on here too often unfortunately so just catching up. Any news on your purchase?

Contrary to boxerman's comments above he is mad, but in here that is normal. Welcome to the mad house, its a great place to be compared to the 'normality' surrounding us
Terry

Postby Sair33 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:58 pm

Thanks all :-)
Everything is with the solicitors now, searches being done etc.... I'm hoping it shouldn't take as long as a house purchase, but I might be wrong. Really hoping we'll be 'in' before the summer is out!
Sair33

Postby smojo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 am

Hi and welcome. I'm just a couple of months in front of you. Got mine in June. When the solicitor rang to tell me I now had a woodland it was one of the best feelings ever. It shouldn't take as long as a house. The agents selling mine were asking for a 4 week completion. I "pushed" the solicitor a bit on that score and we achieved it. I have only been to it three times since due to other commitments so it's still a novelty. When I step out of the car and I'm in my wood, I can hardly believe it. The peace and calm I experience is amazing. Wish I could bottle it! Like you my head is full of plans. I find it best to write them in a book, then make a list of small jobs you can whittle away at whenever you go. That way you make sure you don't spread yourself too thin with your available time there and you come away with something accomplished. Take a comfy camp chair too so you can just sit and relax and enjoy the moment. My tendency is to keep working till I'm exhausted otherwise. Good luck.
smojo

Return to Introductions