Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hi from 'The Community Tree Project' and introduction....

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Hi from 'The Community Tree Project' and introduction....

Postby Lenny » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:52 pm

Hello all.....

I'm a new member of the forum, which, by the way I think is fabulous!!

I'd like to introduce myself and my friends, we are 'The Community Tree Project'. We are a group of people all working co-cooperatively in a common goal to improve under/UN-managed woodlands. On our team we have a woodland manager, tree cutters, carpenters, furniture makers, forest school teachers, a saw mill, amongst other things a desire to work, and utilise all aspects of the woodlands with conservation, and the community in mind.

We're based in Sussex, and are looking for woodlands that need an action plan. We are more than happy to come along to the woods and do a management plan for a guarantee of an opportunity in the woods. The overriding philosophy we have is to get the most out of the woods, to include as many people and industries as possible, and to, probably most importantly to encourage conservation and wildlife, and further the longevity of the woodlands in Sussex.

We, as a group are looking for opportunities in the area, and will be more than happy to have a chat with anyone who is interested in our ideas. We're trying to connect woodlands, and the local area as much as possible, selling timber locally and making anything and everything from the timber to people locally too.

To get in touch please carry on a thread from this post or email me.....as we are a very new group we've not yet got a web site together email me [email protected] or leave a post with me on the forum.

I very much look forward to hearing peoples thoughts on this.

'C.T.P'
Lenny

Re: Hi from 'The Community Tree Project' and introduction...

Postby Bulworthy Project » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi Lenny
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're doing some really interesting stuff. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
http://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk/events.html
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project

Postby Rankinswood » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:24 am

Hi Lenny et al,

I think that what Lenny describes above may be the way forward for undertaking more significant work in small woodlands especially where the woodland owner lacks resources, experience or knowledge. This might well breathe new life into our woodlands.

In the 2014 Woodland Heritage journal (pp 46-47) I also note that there is an article by Claire Godden describing a similar approach to woodland management by Blackbark in West Yorkshire.

I wish that more of these groups would spring up to help save my aching bones.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby Lenny » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi all, thanks very much! I'm a firm believer in the human spirit and the woods are a great place for people! I've been in the industry a good while and contracting seems to be more about money than the long term care for the woods and the community around them.

Sussex seems to be the place to do this as we have some great woodlands and a market for produce that anyone can get involved with.

Does anyone want to meet us?!!!

Len
Lenny

Postby smojo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi Lenny - sounds great. Why does Sussex seem to come up so often in woodland matters :( I'm in Yorkshire but would have been interested in what you have to offer. Good luck with your project.
smojo

Postby outeredge » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi Lenny, i'm in Sussex.

What did you mean by an "opportunity" in return?
outeredge

Postby Lenny » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi outeredge, I'm sorry I don't see what you mean. Did I write that somewhere??
Lenny

Postby Lenny » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 pm

Hiya smojo, that's a shame, we're all in Sussex and there's a lot of semi natural woods in the area, guess it makes sense to stay here and do it. Thanks for the encouragement. Hope you have good fortune with your woods.
Lenny

Postby outeredge » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:55 pm

Lenny wrote:We are more than happy to come along to the woods and do a management plan for a guarantee of an opportunity in the woods.
outeredge

Postby Lenny » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:34 pm

Dear outeredge I see now what you meant. I was asking for opportunities for us in the woods. I figured I'm happy to do trade without necessarily involving money! Hope that explains things for you
Lenny

Next

Return to Introductions