Small Woodland Owners' Group

Another hello from Wales

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby John H » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:48 pm

We manage two plots of ex FC land near Llandovery . We bought them what must be 3 years ago now. The larger wood plot consisted of spruce and larch, with the help of FC grants ( PAWS site) we harvested all the spruce and some of the larch last winter.

We immediatley replanted with hardwood. I was delighted with last years wet summer as I thought the small trees would get away to a good start. However many of the birch and some of the oak were attacked by a small weevil which seemed to be eating the young leaves. Now I know what your thinking, that's going to be one fat weevil having chomped his way through 1500 trees!!

A couple of weeks ago when the snow had cleared we planted 1500 small oak to replace those that had died.

The other wood is the other side of Llandovery. It has a very deep dingle with a small stream and even a waterfall. The dingle is lined with hardwood but there is much spruce. Here I am aiming to clear about an acre a year, converting it on site with a Woodmizer bandsaw. I also hope to be able to sell logs. I have bult a shed with some of the spruce to house the saw and other machinery.

John

John H

Return to Introductions