Small Woodland Owners' Group

You are now the proud owner of a small woodland

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Re: You are now the proud owner of a small woodland

Postby smojo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:44 am

Thanks for all the encouragement folks. I've been like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for it to complete - grinning like a Cheshire cat now! First job when I get there is to put my woodland name board up and stake my claim. Make a cuppa, sit a watch the birds. Then just have a right good wander round again and see what's going on. Pull a few brambles and pick the odd bits of leftover litter just to feel that I've started. Probably take some vid of a walk around and post it for folks to look at. I'll be in heaven.
smojo

Postby Woodsmith » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:15 am

Congratulations! Its's a great feeling when you become the owner of a beautiful wood :)
Woodsmith

Postby dredger99 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:38 am

Congrats smojo,
you won't regret it.

Dredger99
dredger99

Postby TerryH » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:48 pm

Congratulations Smojo! Enjoy your own little slice of paradise. From this point on you will always feel a part of nature and never apart from it :)
TerryH

Postby smojo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:00 am

thanks again folks.

From this point on you will always feel a part of nature and never apart from it

Yes and that's what I've wanted most of my life but sadly I have mostly felt apart from it. When I went to view it the first time I had huge doubts about the whole thing but after wandering about for half an hour I sat on a log and drank my flask of coffee and just watched and listened. It had a huge calming effect and I understood what people have been saying about owning a wood. I wanted it there and then and although it isn't the best location for me, I could have it and start to enjoy it this year and it's now that I need it.
smojo

Postby Lincswood » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Congratulations Smojo, may the feelgood factor always be with you. On returning from a few days working overseas, I popped across to my wood quickly today with my dad. It changes each time you visit and never fails to amaze you. So much so, that I visited again, later this afternoon, on my own, just to stay a bit longer. It does that to you. Enjoy.
Lincswood

Postby smojo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:32 pm

Had my first day as an owner in it yesterday. Like an overexcited puppy. Came home satisfied but knackered. The undergrowth (mainly bramble and some bracken) has grown incredibly since last visit in May. Some areas were inaccessible without a lot of hacking with sharp tools. A petrol brushcutter is definitely a must. Spotted a small common frog wriggling about in some deadwood birch - the little pleasures are like gifts.
smojo

Postby Zathras » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:14 pm

smojo wrote:When I went to view it the first time I had huge doubts about the whole thing but after wandering about for half an hour I sat on a log and drank my flask of coffee and just watched and listened. It had a huge calming effect and I understood what people have been saying about owning a wood. I wanted it there and then and although it isn't the best location for me, I could have it and start to enjoy it this year and it's now that I need it.

Well done joining the clan...

I've only owned mine for 9 months and have a very busy lifestyle, but I think we all get those moments (especially if you visit alone) where it's been so hectic in the lead up to getting there you stop and think 'So now what? bugger I have no idea! shouldn't I be doing something! is this what I wanted?'

Then the mind slows down and joins the nature around you, 'oh yeah, enjoy the moment dude and then do whatever takes ya fancy next...'. Followed by 'ooh, was that an owl... Hey theres a frog, oh and a woodpecker. Is that a mole disturbing the soil over there... Can I improve this bit over here.. Ooh I hear an owl again.. Hey squirrel, stop chewing my tree!'

Already I cannot imagine not having my special place in nature...
But the sudden change in speed does still blindside me for a moment sometimes.
Zathras

Postby boxerman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:48 pm

Was wondering of you'd got the keys yet.... I suspect that day will live with you till your dying day....

I know what you mean about the bramble though - I went to have a nose at a wood for sale a couple of weeks ago and managed to fight my way about 20 yards up a vague track to a seat but the rest was impenetrable jungle..... I probably saw about 20 square yards of a 4 acre wood! It was enough though to remind me of why this dream has stayed in my mind for 50 years...
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby smojo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:27 am

I went to have a nose at a wood for sale a couple of weeks ago and managed to fight my way about 20 yards up a vague track to a seat but the rest was impenetrable jungle.....

Yeah I reckon when I did my viewing it was just about the right time - April/May. Went to see another near there in March and it was bare apart from a few bluebell shoots. Winter will allow you to move around and see the structure of the wood and how many trees you've got but it's hard to ID some of them without leaves. April/May is fantastic - trees starting to leaf up, bluebells in flower it's probably at it's most beautiful then. From now on you see how wild it's gonna get and what the tree species are and how healthy the growth. What wildlife is around. I'm learning fast.
smojo

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions