Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hi Guys

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Re: Hi Guys

Postby boxerman » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:18 pm

:D The price would have to be damn cheap for me to stick my hand up..... now, if it dropped to 10 grand and no-one was bidding..... :lol: I'd have to sell me granny if it was more!

As part of my learning experience I'd just be interested to see the likely interest as it'll give me an idea of what to expect if and when I'm getting close to having enough funds and I spot something at auction. IF this is anything like it looks on Google Earth and as a pretty much stand alone wood I suspect it'll go for double the guide price but I'm just wondering about the estate agentese - could well mean: top of a hill with howling gales, full of deer and good for skiing in the winter......

The problem I have is that I'm an engineer at heart and like to know how things work.

May drop you a line in the next week or two about arranging a visit at some point..
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:32 pm

Auctions lots are typically put up at a 'guide' at a fraction of what they realistically expect, its just to attract interest. While woodland bidding tends to tail off after they go much over the upper amenity budget of £50-£60K, any attractive stand alone deciduous wood will go for around £7-10k / acre, so a minimum this one will go for will be £70k. It would go for more than £30k if it was coniferous. Woods are also keenly watched by the likes of woodlands.co.uk & woodlands4sale, who would be quite happy to buy 10 acres and split it at max price / acre, so they would go to £70k on it, to resell at 2 x £50K.

You don't really believe what Estate Agents say, do you?
oldclaypaws

Postby jennysmate » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:11 am

A chap on the telly last night bought a 100 qcre wood for £6000..............

It was part of the rainforest in Peru, backing on to a national park.
When he got there he found a lot of it had already been felled and replanted with coca. Turned out the man who sold it to him was still working it. Be interesting to see how he deals with this in the next programme. It's called unimaginatively "I bought a rainforest" and is on BBC2.
jennysmate

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:49 am

jennysmate wrote:A chap on the telly last night bought a 100 qcre wood for £6000 ... It's called unimaginatively "I bought a rainforest" and is on BBC2.

On BBC iPlayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0461lhs
SimonFisher

Previous

Return to Introductions