Small Woodland Owners' Group

Deer Management

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Deer Management

Postby Tony Rentokil » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi All,I have just joined this lovely site,My wife and I have always wanted to have our own little wood,but unless we have a lottery win,soon we will have to keep saving.
My occupation is chief,deer management trainer/advanced technician for Rentokil,pest control.
I also hold a dsc level 1 in deer control,and national pest control certificate to level3.
Apparently,my wife told me I was 60 the other day,so as I will be slowing up,workwise[not physically or mentally] just yet,I would like to offer my services,free of charge.
You see I cannot be one of those guys that,make an entire morning out of fetching the papers,so I need to keep busy.
I can offer control of all major woodland pest species,squirrel,deer,rabbit,etc.
Thank You so much for your time,
Kindest Regards Tony.
[email protected]
Last edited by Tony Rentokil on Thu May 01, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Rentokil

Re: Deer Management

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:43 pm

hi tony, so another rentokil pestie on the forum, although I do own a wood,
funnily enough, I purposely looked for a wood that came with full sporting rights, which we found and bought, yet the hunter/pestie in you seems to disappear when in the woods, we have deer,fox,rabbit,pheasant,partridge,crows,woodies etc, yet I've not tried shooting any, just the dreaded squirrel get my attentions, both trapping with kania's and fenn traps, and the 410

you probably know already, but you don't need the dsc 1 when controlling deer in woodland, there's no closed season and they can be taken with shotgun
Dexter's Shed

Postby The Barrowers » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:16 pm

Hello Roe / Fallow No closed season???

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:23 pm

oldclaypaws

Postby The Barrowers » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Hello Aware of that site Is it different if in a woodland and using a shotgun?
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:24 am

if your an OWNER of woodland and can prove other actions have failed to protect new saplings, then there is no closed season, on any of the species, and a shotgun no smaller than 12 gauge can be used

as per below, it's a sub link from the page ocp already posted, you just need to search for it :?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/54/section/7
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:09 am

From the BDS outlying reasons for a closed season for deer dams (extracts);

Legislators have a moral responsibility to put in hand measures to avoid dependent young being orphaned and left to starve when deer are being legally shot. Except for muntjac which breed all the year round, the season should be the same for females of all deer species. In the case of muntjac, any Close Season for females is illogical because a dependent fawn could be orphaned at any time of year. For males there is little humane penalty incurred by having no statutory Close Season.

-Ergo while there is now no legislative closed season as a landowner preventing tree damage, if you have a more humane approach to culling, you won't shoot female deer during the period April 1 to October 31st, when they are likely to have dependant young. To do so would be pretty morally repugnant, unless you can turn a blind eye to infant animals being starved to death, irrespective of what weapon is used. (?). Responsible and experienced marksmen will not only be capable of a clean shot, but familiar with the deer population, breeding status, and aware of which are the most ethically acceptable to cull.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:50 pm

you seem to missing the point I was trying to make, as I'm not in the habit of shooting pregnant animals or making young orphans, my point was that there is no need to hold a DSC cert when controlling deer within the woods, as well as the point that unless your set up for deer shooting in your woods, with deer platforms set up, so shots with the high powered calibre rifles used can go harmless into the ground should a shot be missed, I would rather use a shotgun, as you would then need to be pretty close, any misses would not travel that far, yet a rifle fired level with the ground, could easily travel into the next woodland plot

my point therefore, with no disrespect, was aimed towards mr rentokil, as a non woodland owner, he seemed unaware of that condition,
Dexter's Shed

Postby Tony Rentokil » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:05 pm

Can someone tell me at what point did I say you need dsc1 to cull deer. I only mentioned my training/qualifications/insurances etc,so that any one wanting my help would know they have a responsible, qualified professional.
I personally would not use a shotgun on deer,except when I am called out to an rta,by the police.
Thank you for your time.
Kindest Regards Tony.
[email protected]
Last edited by Tony Rentokil on Thu May 01, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Rentokil

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Tony Rentokil wrote:Can someone tell me at what point did I say you need dsc1 to cull deer. I only mentioned my training/qualifications/insurances etc,so that any one wanting my help would know they have a responsible, qualified professional.
I personally would not use a shotgun on deer,except when I am called out to an rta,by the police.
Thank you for your time.
Kindest Regards Tony.

again, I think my point was missed, your correct that you didn't say you need dsc1 to cull deer, but for culling deer in woodland, you didn't need to mention it at all, I know those looking for permissions to shoot on peoples land will mention as many cert's and qualifications as possible in the hope that it secures them a landowners permission, I was one of those people once, and mentioning certs and name dropping, along with professions was the done thing,

but lets finish it there, otherwise we could go on forever,
Dexter's Shed

Return to Introductions