Small Woodland Owners' Group

Newbie from Lincolnshire

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Newbie from Lincolnshire

Postby Lincswood » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:56 pm

Hello folks,
I've been observing this excellent forum for a while from a distance and thought it was about time that I contributed to the many discussions. I'm the proud owner of around 9 acres of broadleaf woodland on the edge of the lincolnshire Wolds and buying it was the best thing I've ever done. It's great to have found SWOG because there isn't a lot of woodland in Lincolnshire, and as a consequence, not a lot of people to share the passion with, ask for advice, etc.
I completely agree with the sentiment that most people just don't 'get' what being in woodland is all about. For my part, it's my outdoor gym and place to escape to, but it's so much more than that. My father is a man of few words, but we always have plenty to talk about when working in the woods together. My 12 year old son isn't strong enough yet to haul logs around, but he loves to tow a trailer load behind a quad bike.
I'm looking forwards to the day when I can just sit and enjoy the wood, but there is always so much to do, and never enough time.
I bought the wood in April 2012 and my plan is to spend the next 20/30/40 years improving it for whoever has it after me. There's evidence that it has been well loved and managed in the past, so as the current 'guardian' I'll be doing my best to bring it back to a good state.
I have enjoyed following all your discussions - and seeing the OCP video - which has been inspiring for me, so I hope you'll welcome me on board as part of this special community.
Lincswood

Re: Newbie from Lincolnshire

Postby Terry » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:42 pm

Hi Lincswood
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you will fit right in here.
Terry

Postby TerryH » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi Lincswood,
Other Terry here ...

What do you have in your 9 acres up there? We've got just over 4 acres in Sussex with mostly hornbeam , oak and ash.
Know what you mean about longing for time to spend in your wood. I do IT contracting and so I cycle between having no work whatsoever to having way, way too much of it. To be honest, I enjoy the out of work times the most as I get to wander around the trees without a care in the world :)
TerryH

Postby Lincswood » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:44 pm

Mainly oak, with plenty of silver birch, beech and ash. There are a few interesting specimens that I have yet to identify so am waiting for the leaves to come out. I enjoyed the video of Old Clay Paws, so will try to put together a short one in the next days. Nice to see other people enjoying their woods hundreds of miles away!
Lincswood

Postby smudge » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi lincswood from sunny devon had my woods for 12months now can only go weekends as of work but even at work think of things to do when I get back there again so addictive best thing ive done is put a couple of bench seats at nicest viewpoints remember you can do loads or nothing it still goes on good luck,
smudge

Postby Lincswood » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:09 pm

Yep, I'm hoping that I've got enough wood cut, split and stacked for next winter so that I can just spend the next months at the wood just enjoying being there. I'll have to make sure I leave the tools at home though - and replace the chainsaw with a pair of binoculars and a tree identification book!
Lincswood

Postby dredger99 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:35 am

Welcome Lincswood

This is a great place for advice and to have the odd rant. :shock:

Dredger
dredger99

Postby Tarrel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Welcome from a fellow Newbie. Just joined a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like a nice place you've got.
Tarrel

Postby Lincswood » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:25 pm

Managed to find a short video I'd thrown together from some photos taken on my first visits to our wood when we got it back in 2012. No text or commentary, just photos but it gives an idea of what's in there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v74c3B2r5uk&sns=em
No bluebells at all unfortunately, just loads of bracken. Any advice on that one?
Lincswood

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:48 pm

You need to go back to your video and click the 'public or publish' tab. At the moment following the link just brings up a blank screen saying 'this video is private'. :?

Excess bracken is considered a problem and hard to eradicate. It harbours ticks, can be carcinogenic and swamps everything else. Nuclear non-green option is glyphospate. Nicer effective and organic method is PIGS.
oldclaypaws

Next

Return to Introductions