Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hi from West Yorkhire

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Hi from West Yorkhire

Postby Luke853 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi to everyone, me and a couple of friends have been thinking of buying a small woodland for some time, more than likely with a friend or two possibly. What originally got us thinking was me and my mate could never find a "rough" enough or natural type campsite lol
So I've Joined the forum to see just how easy it is to get the dream and see how easy (or hard) it would be to be able to use it for what we intend, bushcraft day courses, proper wild camping in hammocks etc for small groups of bushcrafters , making charcoal, coppicing and of course fire wood and natural craft type project..... Everything on a small scale :0)

Looking forward to trawling through the old threads and listening to everyone's points of view and advice.

Peace
Luke :0)
Luke853

Re: Hi from West Yorkhire

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Im sure there is a way to do it, but most woods for sale type sites only want one name on the land title, as one of the covenants that need to be agreed on the sale, is that the woods wont be split into smaller parcels, and of course a wood bought between friends, may just get split up if the friends want to go separate ways,
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:21 pm

Houses are often bought by people grouping together, so if you ask a solicitor there must be an established legal route to joint ownership of property, be it a house or land. One wood I looked at was bid on by three friends. It might be you have to create a 'trust' or 'body' which is legally registered as the owning entity, and then have a 'constitution' drawn up to allow for dispute resolution, members leaving and selling their share, etc. Woodlands.co.uk do sell to community and other groups, so it is done. You could contact an area rep and ask them how they go about it, sure they'll have helpful suggestions and be happy to try and sell you one. You probably need up to £10,000 per acre, depending on what you're after, so a typical 'amenity' wood of say 5 acres would set you back £50K.

Smojo is at Ilkley, also looking for a wood, and sounds as if he has similar interests, so you might want to contact him and see if you could pool resources? (Check his posts, you can PM him if wanting to).
oldclaypaws

Postby Luke853 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, a lot to think about there :0)
Luke853

Return to Introductions