Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello from Herefordshire

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Re: Hello from Herefordshire

Postby Woodsmith » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:13 am

Dexter's Shed wrote:I'm currently looking into making a foot bellow to leave both hands free, but here's what I did so far

http://youtu.be/X4rg0BiY4CA

Great, seems to be achieving a heat, the larger bellows would make things quicker and easier

3rd world smiths still use a hole in the ground with a clay pipe running to the goatskin bellows and turn out amazing tools.
Woodsmith

Postby Bearwood » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Welcome along Woodsmith! I too forge a little, although mainly edged tools (not knives). The concept of almost limitless free fuel, with a little work and processing of course, was one of the draws of purchasing our plot. I can safely say I've not had time to forge since June because of the work needing to be done at the wood, but the anvil will be ringing again in Spring no doubt.

It sounds as if you have a concept in mind similar to Dave Budd, a true craftsman and a gentleman. I doubt there's a better example than he of working with metal in the woods. Good luck, I wish you all the best!

If you have a source of electric why not try a bouncy castle blower Dexter? Damn near lifted the coke out of the fire pot when I used to use a bottom blast forge.
Bearwood

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:05 pm

although we have the line of sparks at home, happily not in the woods, so will be sticking with hand power, as for ringing the anvil, stick a magnet on it, it'll stop
Dexter's Shed

Postby The Barrowers » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:28 pm

Hello How about a 12v Hairdryer (without heat on) i.e. just a fan
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:04 pm

The Barrowers wrote:Hello How about a 12v Hairdryer (without heat on) i.e. just a fan

thats a good idea, may look into that
Dexter's Shed

Postby Woodsmith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:02 am

Bearwood wrote:Welcome along Woodsmith! I too forge a little, although mainly edged tools (not knives). The concept of almost limitless free fuel, with a little work and processing of course, was one of the draws of purchasing our plot. I can safely say I've not had time to forge since June because of the work needing to be done at the wood, but the anvil will be ringing again in Spring no doubt.

Thanks Bearwood, will be a while before the anvil is ringing in our wood too, stacks of work at the forge right now but will have every Saturday down there. With coke at £13.00 a bag charcoal will be a welcome change and smells better too
Woodsmith

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:10 am

Woodsmith wrote:
Bearwood wrote:Welcome along Woodsmith! I too forge a little, although mainly edged tools (not knives). The concept of almost limitless free fuel, with a little work and processing of course, was one of the draws of purchasing our plot. I can safely say I've not had time to forge since June because of the work needing to be done at the wood, but the anvil will be ringing again in Spring no doubt.

Thanks Bearwood, will be a while before the anvil is ringing in our wood too, stacks of work at the forge right now but will have every Saturday down there. With coke at £13.00 a bag charcoal will be a welcome change and smells better too

You need to find a better coal merchant, I buy Coke/Breeze at £85 1/4 ton that's £8.50 a bag delivered.
Wendelspanswick

Postby davetb » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi,
Where are you (roughly). We have a 39 acre ancient wood a few hundred metres into Herefordshire - 4 miles North of Monmouth. Unfortunately, no buildings.
Cheers, Dave
davetb

Postby Woodsmith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:33 pm

davetb wrote:Hi,
Where are you (roughly). We have a 39 acre ancient wood a few hundred metres into Herefordshire - 4 miles North of Monmouth. Unfortunately, no buildings.
Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave,we are about 4 miles south of Hereford, only a few acres, cheers Andy
Woodsmith

Postby TerryH » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi Andy, Sounds like a nice woodland you have got there and in a lovely part of England too ( my sister lived in Ledbury and then Little Malvern so I have visited the area quite a bit). Have to echo the comment made about 'doing nothing' for a year and therefore getting to know how things develop through the seasons before making any changes.
We bought our wood last winter and I was thinking the other day how glad that we didn't buy it this winter because I would have been absolutely despairing at the number of trees coming down in the high winds and rain.. and thinking that it was going to be like this every year! It takes a bit of time and observation to know what's normal and what's not I suppose...
Please keep us posted with your adventures in Herefordshire woodland...
TerryH

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions