Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hi from another new member

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby DavidJ » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:17 pm

Hi,

My name is David Jones and my partner Linda and I own a wood in Aldington Kent which used to form part of the Stockshill and Blackthorn nature reserve. Extending to around 30 acres the land contains some ancient mixed woodland comprising oak, hornbeam and birch with a smattering of ash and apparently an area planted in the late eighties with cricket bat willow.

We are complete novices and bought the land, which adjoins our existing plot, in a fit of NIBYism as local rumour had it that someone was thinking of buying the land for a paintball venue!!

The previous owner "dabbled" with various initiatives and plans but much of the wood has been left to its own devices (lots of fallen stuff) although there is evidence of "old" coppicing I'm open to any advice as to who I should approach for planning etc.....

David

DavidJ

Postby tracy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:42 pm

Hi David and Linda, welcome to swog, and thanks for saving the wood from Paintball!

I am sure you will be inundated with thoughts on what to do with your woodland. Butterfly conservation will be very happy to get involved with talking some things through with you and you could also try the forestry commission. Remember though that everyone, and I mean everyone will have a different opinion, so my thoughts would be to listen to many, read lots, and most of all spend time in your woodland watching it, then make your own mind up! If you would like to visit other peoples woodland to look at what they are doing, let me know.

Be very careful about putting up structures of any kind (you might want to read through the forum on that) and felling more than 5 cubic metres a quarter will need a licence. I also highly recommend chainsaw training before sawing!

Old fallen trees are wonderful, especially of the variety you have, I suspect you have a great deal of insect life and fungus in them. If any of them are dangerous or near a public footpath, that may be where you would like to start. Fallen trees though are difficult and dangerous to clear, so unless you are trained in it, please get someone in. I am sure we could recommend someone for you. I could waffle all night, so I will let someone else get a word in

Have fun!

Tracy

tracy

Return to Introductions