Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hi Everyone

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby Sparrowhatchforestry » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi to everyone on the SWOG forum.

I thought I would take the opportunity to briefly introduce myself and what I do. I am based near Gatwick and have been involved with woodlands since my parents bought 11 acres in Kent in 1999. Since then I have become a qualified arborist, worked for various tree surgeons and forestry companies, achieved a Foundation Degree in Forestry and Woodland Management (currently studying part time for BSC (Hons) in Forestry) and finally after becoming slightly disillusioned and more aware of ecological and ethical management, or the absence of in the case of some of my previous employers, established my own company, Sparrowhatch Forestry. I now undertake all areas of forestry and woodland management from consultancy and management plans to planting, PAWS restoration, arboriculture surveys and tree surgery. I still enjoy working and being in small woodlands as I believe they can offer much more character and individuality than larger woodland areas.

I look forward to discussing different aspects of woodlands and their management on the forum and hopefully meeting up with some of you at a few events in the near future

David

www.Sparrowhatchforestry.co.uk
[email protected]
Sparrowhatchforestry

Postby Bulworthy Project » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of likeminded folk here.

Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
http://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk/events.html
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project

Postby Toby Allen » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:21 am

Hello and welcome.

Good luck with the forestry business. Have you got any useful kit?

Toby Allen

Re: Hi Everyone

Postby Sparrowhatchforestry » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:11 am

Toby, aside from the usual saws, winches, ropes etc we have a customised low impact forwarder that is used for the removal of shortwood to cstacking areas and an Alaskan mill for converting nice pieces of timber into boards and beams etc. looking into getting a lightweight tractor with a timber crane at the moment.
www.Sparrowhatchforestry.co.uk
[email protected]
Sparrowhatchforestry

Return to Introductions