Small Woodland Owners' Group

Introducing the International School of storytelling (new member)

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby Emma S » Wed May 23, 2012 12:18 pm

I am swinging between extreme scepticism and curious interest. Having lived with many who walked the pagan path whilst living up in the big smoke, i certainly recognise the intrinsic need to 'reconnect' with nature for thise who live in an urban environment, and i can see the appeal of the new agey stuff where it is packaged up and presented to you in an easily accessible format for those living the rushed life of the city.

Our work in care farming has also shown that many many people are feeling a need for there to be 'more' to life than the consumer culture sold to us as ideal, which is exactly the need that is tapped by such courses and organisations. As binz says, if it harms none......... and for many it helps and does heal emotional problems.

BUT on the other hand, having looked alotinto all manner of these sorts of things, i am wary of the claims that they form anything more than a newly invented niche in romanticised psuedo pagan woo-woo philospophy. People who believe that they are treading a well worn path that travels back over the millenia and connecting with the true religion of our lands are sadly mistaken. most of the modern takes on our 'heritage' religion were created in victorian times, and cherry picked from various rites and rituals of the classical world. In truth, our ancestors left no written records and barely any remains to show what or how they worshiped. I am quite happy for people to create new ways to spiritual fulfillment. to me each way (or no way) is as valid as another, so long as it does not impose on others freedoms or beliefs, fulfills a need in those who follow, and causes no harm, but i personally have a bit of a beef for those who claim to hold 'ancient secret knowledge'....

And in a different direction, I think as a group we are probably more realistic about the 'beauty' of nature!

sorry. my rant for wednesday over now......

Emma S

Postby jennysmate » Thu May 24, 2012 6:09 am

Emma S, There are thousands of ancient remains, that show precisely that we celebrated solar, lunar and planetary phenomenon and this carries on through to today. I'm always amazed how they aligned stones accurately with just simple tools.

I think the problem with groups like this is the language they use. People here call a spade a spade, but we all feel the changes as the sun goes through its yearly cycle, or the "atmosphere" a place has.

jennysmate

Postby Emma S » Thu May 24, 2012 8:26 am

Ah yes, I agree that there are lots of remains which show those things, I dont think I was clear - what I mean is that we dont know HOW they did it - what kind of ceremonies and rituals they used - we can only extrapolate from other cultures and look at the similarities between the recorded accounts and contemporary 'primative' cultures (I dont like that term as it sort of indicates lesser, when spiritually they are often far more advanced than us)

We know there WAS an amazing prehistoric culture here. But we dont know what they did. The only contemporary written refernces to, for example, the rituals of the druids came from the Romans, who were notorious for demonisation of the enemy and gross exageration. The next records came from people like Bede's written history of the British Isles, by which time the real life workings of religion of our prehistoric culture was long gone. Traces can be found in folklore and traditions, but even they often dont have roots that go deep into prehistory - much of the Morris/mayday stuff for example had died out but were resurrected during the Victorian age, as there was a great interest in resurecting and romanticising our history.

But I do agree with your statement about the 'atmosphere' of places and the passing of time.

Emma S

Postby jennysmate » Thu May 24, 2012 1:47 pm

We know that they celebrated the solar solstices, that they gathered at monuments that they painstakingly built for that pupose and that they had huge feasts there. What does it matter how they did it?

All ceremonies change over time to stay relevant. The Jews dont sacrifice animals (or their sons) anymore, but they are still Jews. Similarly when I celebrate the solstices I am NOT mistaken in thinking I am "treading a well worn path of my ancestors, etc.", just because I don't know specificaly how they did it..

jennysmate

Postby Toby Allen » Thu May 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Sorry, maybe that was a little harsh.

I've met some brilliant story tellers, and thoroughly enjoy sitting round with my fellow indigenous people telling a few funny ones (the rude and exaggerated stories based on real events are the best)

But I wouldnt claim it was in any way healing the earth, to do that you need to get it under your fingernails.

Toby Allen

Postby Emma S » Thu May 24, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm sorry Jennysmate, I didnt mean to offend anyone. I think my personal experiences with a very dodgy group of people who made unsubstantiated claims when I was much younger and more naive meant that I had a bit of a bad experience (even though I too still celebrate the solstices and encourage my childrens inquisitiveness into the turning of the year) although it was because of this I went on to study ancient theology and archaeology.

I do accept what you are saying is correct and totally valid, I have just been a little coloured by those who made claims to beliefs and knowledge that didnt actually stand up to scrutiny and am now a little wary.

Emma S

Previous

Return to Introductions