Small Woodland Owners' Group

New owners: Cambridgeshire

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby knight » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a while, but thought it was time to say hello.

My wife and I bought a small wood (12 acres) in Cambridgeshire last year, and are just starting to engage with what this is going to mean if we take it seriously. The wood's an oak - ash - field maple mix which has become pretty dense and dark and will need some serious thinning out over the next few years - I'd like to see if we can encourage the hazel and ground vegetation to regenerate. Lots else to do - our hedges are all overgrown, and we're wondering whether we dare pollard some of the bordering oaks too.

It's a nice prospect though as the clearing work we've done so far is really satisfying to see the difference an afternoons work can do in getting some sunlight to ground level - getting the rides and internal tracks clear will be this winter's goal. I'm hoping to do a chainsaw course this year and graduate to clearing some of the bigger stuff....

Be good to hear if there's any Swog members close by.

k

knight

Postby Rich » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Hello Knight,

Welcome to the forum, good luck with all your planning for your wood. There are quite a few members in your area, but not everyone uses the forum. Keep an eye on the events page, http://www.swog.org.uk/swog-events/ Lots of people are hosting events and we'll post details as they come in.

Cheers

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Exeldama » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:21 pm

Whereabouts in Cambs dear Sir/madam .Did you buy near Monks wood by chance.?

Exeldama

Postby knight » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Not us. (Mr & Ms, not Sir & Madam !)

Our's near Great Gransden - close to Waresley Wood (Cambridgeshire Wildlife Trust Reserve).

k

knight

Return to Introductions