Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hi from Brittany

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby WoodyAlan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi everyone. Just found your website this afternoon and am looking forward learning about woodland management. We have about 6 acres of land with a small copse, a 2.5 acre larger area and numerous other trees around the property.

I have (I think!!) made improvements to a number of our trees, but to be honest, I'm relying on my own common sense to improve the trees tackled so far, rather than act with any degree of actual knowledge. I have worked here with a tree surgeon for a couple of weeks learning some basics of tree cutting and "lifting the canopy" but I do not, with any confidence, really know how best to deal with the numerous variety of deciduous trees that we have or the art of coppicing..

I was wondering if anyone would be prepared to help me learn in a hands on manner, by allowing me to spend a couple of days working with them occasionally in their own woodland. In other words, you provide the knowledge and I the labour - and a couple of beers at the end of the day.

I visit the UK regularly and best areas would be Dorset or Gwent/Mid-Glamorgan/South Powys.

I also have a major issue with brambles in the woods, so if anyone has a permanent solution to these pests I would be grateful to know.

Look forward to receiving any replies . Thanks

WoodyAlan

Postby Hobby » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi Alan, and welcome.

My own woodland in Kent is/was also awash with brambles in certain areas.

My only advise would be to remove it manually.

I cleared ,by hand, a sizeable area during Autumn 2010.

Once the woodland floor becomes a little damp, I found removing the plant and the root a pretty simple process.

As long as you wear a good pair of gloves you will find that the plant is much, much bigger than the roots attached,

the area has since remained clear of Brambles.

A long term solution of course would be to allow a dense upper canopy which would deny the Bramble the light source required to thrive....

In another area of my woodland Brambles are scarce due to the quantity of large Oak, Ash, Aspen and Hornbeam, these have reduced the woodland floor light values to such an extent that very little grows except Bluebells and wood anemone in Springtime.

Rgds Hobby

Hobby

Postby WoodyAlan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:07 am

Morning Hobby thanks for your reply and compliments of the season to you.

I was afraid that was the case with the brambles. My plan this year is, in order to clear as much as possible in the shortest time, is to use the brushcutter and over the following years, when it re-grows, to do exactly as you say. There's too much of the wood which is alsmost impossible to walk through and I want to open as much of it as I can. It is still very slow going though. Ivy roots which are 2-3ins thick are challenging to say the least, but when done the improvement is good to see.

I have been cutting branches to a height of about 3m to enable us to walk safelythrough and to improve the vista. We are hoping this will also reduce the density and promote floral growth in years to come(hope thats the right thing to do) I will just have be patient I guess with the weeds and just keep on top of them.

Thanks Hobby, regards

Alan

WoodyAlan

Postby tracy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:57 am

Welcome Alan, and we look forward to hearing how you are getting on!

tracy

Postby Exeldama » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:35 am

Weirdly im trying to encourage brambles....opening up etc but even then slow moving where i am. Brushcutters are great for brambles and bracken which is my mortal enemy after rhodi.... sounds like you have abrushcutter already but if not i am selling my new one. Assuming you have one, it proably takes multiple blades. The better ones will take blades that will go through 2-3 inches no prob (circular saw blades etc). Mine can take small trees as well as brambles etc... anyway no hard sell.... look to gets some more blades perhaps or a decent flamethrower.

Exeldama

Postby WoodyAlan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:05 am

Hi Exeldama,

I've just started to use the Jet-fit flexi blades by "Oregon" on the brushcutter. I've personally found that the blades are pretty hard work with brambles and often have to resort to my hedge trimmer. So far I'm very impressed with this spool and line and will stick with it. It probably works out more expensive than using blades, but I find it so much quicker and more effective.

So no I'm afraid you can't sell me a brushcutter on this occasion, but I can certainly sell you some brambles : One owner from new, up to 20mm thick, fine specimens they are, guaranteed to induce pain,the best money can buy. First come.......!!!!

WoodyAlan

Return to Introductions