Small Woodland Owners' Group

Land Searches

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Postby northmetking » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Can anyone give any advise on whether it is worth doing a plan search as well as a normal land search on a piece of land? For anyone that doesn't that know a plan search lets you know of any impending development that may be in progress.

It costs a bit to get this done so any advice would be useful.

northmetking

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:12 pm

As the Local Authority is also the Planning Authority, impending planning adjacent or near to the property you are having the search performed on would require planning information to be made available.

Are you using a Solicitor - he should be detailing this and combining the findings with other utilities and statutory bodies and in appropriate areas mining subsidence risk etc.

I think for England the search documentation is a reasonably standardised pro-forma (I'm 450 miles from the deeds and documents of my last transaction from last year, so can't check until Wednesday night...)

Usually an idea to obtain or view a Local Authority Greater Area Plan - for example this may indicate future land use ideas such as housing estates, park and rides, by-passes and relief roads / widening...

Meadowcopse

Return to All things legal