Small Woodland Owners' Group

Any exceptions to 28 days camping

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Postby Keith Williams » Sat May 07, 2011 10:35 am

As a none too serious comment, if the woodland has planning permission only for forestry use, there would be a prohibition against it being used for leisure purposes, e.g. dog walking - and woodland owners would have a duty to prevent this activity.

Keith Williams

Postby tracy » Sat May 07, 2011 4:20 pm

There are some really good day courses out there on felling with handtools. A quick google is likely to turn something up for you. I really do strongly suggest you get some training/ or someone in to help you. Trees are very big and heavy!

tracy

Postby jillybean » Sat May 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Stick it out. let them call the council. remain calm. It will pass. its Your Wood.

jillybean

Postby Meadowcopse » Sat May 07, 2011 7:25 pm

The dynamics of neighbours can be both intriguing and frustrating...

Time for a SWOG members open day at your woods? Maybe invite a local badger or bat conservation group over for the same evening ?

If I'm doing anything that may be misunderstood or apparently controversial (hedgerow restoration or pollarding) I send an email to the local Parish Clerk a while beforehand and likewise afterwards if I've arranged removal of other peoples fly-tipping...

Meadowcopse

Postby austino » Sat May 07, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks for your input. Anyone got any views on this seasonal working for forest workers. Seems to me very specific and not contentious. I find working in the wood hard work so probably do no more than 5-6 hours a day but surely that counts as working and is very good for the woods. Maybe 7 days more graft and the rhoddy will be gone (QUITE PROUD!), and all I ask is to stay in my woods and have the pleasure of being at one with my surroundings.

austino

Postby treebloke » Sat May 07, 2011 9:18 pm

If you are working your wood you can stay there, in order to stay you can have a caravan, you need to read the book or at least visit the field to farm forum, the answers you need are there.

treebloke

Postby happybonzo » Sun May 08, 2011 6:14 am

@ Treebloke and Rogerspianocat - got onto the site now. Many thanks, it is going to be very useful.

Here's that website again http://www.fieldtofarm.com/

happybonzo

Postby austino » Mon May 09, 2011 5:16 am

Thanks very much. I have trawled the site extensively having become a member and have read about the right to stay on your land for seaonal work. However the council inspectors letter to me said "no more than 28 days". I wondered therefore if being a forest worker needed maybe a qualification, or perhaps seen to be making your living from the woods and rceiving wages. I'm sure also the council can take the side of the person complaining to "shut him up". It would be nice when dealing with the council, therefore indirectly the neighbour, with facts I'm sure of.

austino

Postby wrekin » Mon May 09, 2011 7:14 am

Had you made them aware of the seasonal provision for forestry workers when they sent you the letter saying 28 days? If that letter was the first you knew, then I'm guessing not. In that case, the 28 days is just the 28 days of temporary change of use that applies to any land away from a dwelling house.

To provide more evidence that you really are doing forestry work, it may be worth, in a completely unrelated way, talking to your local forestry commission and your council's tree officer to ask for advice about your wood and to discuss your ongoing plans. Then in the future you can mention this (name names!) to demonstrate you have a credible plan. An FC funded management plan or a felling license would be even better. You don't need qualifications or to be running a business for any of that.

http://hutters.uk - Woods, huts, cabins, sheds, forestry
wrekin

Postby austino » Mon May 09, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks Wrekin and everyone else. I feel fueled up ready to reply and feel I have the necessary info to put my case. Thanks again.

austino

PreviousNext

Return to All things legal