Small Woodland Owners' Group

Any exceptions to 28 days camping

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Postby austino » Wed May 04, 2011 4:05 pm

I live a fair way away from my woods and when visiting often need to stay overnight to make the jopurney worth while. Sadly I have a sad couple at the entrance to my woods who are logging my vehicle parked at the entrance and are assuming I am staying overnight. If this was the case they have worked out me being there 40 nights. They have now got the local council involved and are insisting only 28 nights are possible and that when I leave that all traces of camping are removed. To give you some idea how petty they are being in the letter I received it was stated "evidence of camping has been found including a kettle, furniture (table) , water bottle, cooking utensils and a toilet". So what!

I have never given any reason for there to be any upset and my only crime is keeping my gate locked so they can't walk there unruly dogs through my land.

My question is if I am actively working the woods i.e. rhoddy clearance, dead hedging, ride opening all sanctioned by Natural England am I still limited to the 28 days. Is the 28 days for any single person or can I do 28 and my brother 28 etc.

As stated the neighbour in question is wrongly assuming in me being 28 days but would be very interested to know where I stand. Thanks in advance for any info in this matter.

austino

Postby sarty » Wed May 04, 2011 5:34 pm

I 've got a permanent Tramp camped in my woods. So instead of chucking him off i put him to work. Does a grand job and a jolly nice fellow too.

sarty

Postby RichardKing » Wed May 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Ask the council officers concerned exactly what laws they claim that you are breaking.

Contact the local councillors and ask them if they believe it to be an appropriate use of taxpayers money to harrass you in this way.

Talk to the local Forestry Commision officer.

RichardKing

Postby austino » Wed May 04, 2011 6:42 pm

After some investigation forestry workers are allowed to stay for seasonal work. This doesn't state which season and also what constitutes a forestry worker after all I work in my forest (wood). This is covered by part 5 of the general permitted development order 1995. Anyone got any knowledge of this matter.

austino

Postby treebloke » Wed May 04, 2011 9:00 pm

You need to log into this forum http://www.fieldtofarm.com/forum

and read through the topics, you may need to buy the book but believe me it's worth the money and will get you thinking.

Anyone with a wood or land which is more than 12.5 acres should read the book.

treebloke

Postby DuncanB » Thu May 05, 2011 7:34 am

How do they get "evidence of camping"? presumably they were trespassing on your property to see this? I usually find that a quiet, friendly chat works for most things - have you asked them why they object to you working on your land? Do they know that it is your land, and that you are working to improve the woods as part of a agreed plan? If this doesn't work, it might be worth putting up a "scrote cam" (a brilliant name for a "trail camera" - coined by DocSquid) to see if they are trespassing on your property - these cameras are battery powered, tie to a tree, and take reasonable pictures when someone walks past. They are about £120, but are good fun as they take pics of passing wildlife as well!

DuncanB

Postby happybonzo » Fri May 06, 2011 5:02 am

slightly off topic - does anyone know how long these Field to Farm people take to validate an account? It looks a useful site but I have been sent an access pasword and every time I try it it says "ERROR: Your account is not validated yet."

happybonzo

Postby rogerspianocat » Fri May 06, 2011 7:30 am

HappyB you should have got 2 emails, 1 to validate and 1 with password - shouldn't need to wait.

rogerspianocat

Postby Exeldama » Fri May 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Personally i would bury them both in a hole , what a couple of miserable losers.. clearly they have nothing better to do. Jealousy, ignorance whatever....bury them..!! No No no just occured to me they might grow and contaminate your peice of paradise....burn them instead. I hope that helps.

Exeldama

Postby austino » Sat May 07, 2011 6:16 am

Thanks for your points everyone. Exeldama your point of contamination is quite apt as this couple fly tipped my entrance with garden waste that had a garden plant particularly virilent and I have spent two days having to clear it. In fairness they no longer tip on my land but use the woods opposite. With the use of "SCROTE CAM" I will be attempting to catct these sad people in the act.

I can get round the issue of 28 days but its not much fun having these "SCROTES" monitoring my movments then running to the council to "tell" on me. Has anyone out there pushed the point of staying in their woods for seasonal work. It would be nice that the "scrotes" do not feel they have the upper hand.

My only crime is not letting them on my land. Even if I was happy to let them in the other woodland owners wouldn't be as they have caused other people problems. The only issue they have spoken to me about specifically is they are un happy about seeing my parked vehicle on my land. I told them I was having stone delivered so I can park the car further in the woods so they needn't have to look at my three year old car (not unsightley). The sad point about this due to them having a large hedge round their house they can onle see my car from upstairs! Whilst the stone is being layed they have gone to the council and complained on the 28 night issue.

austino

Next

Return to All things legal