Small Woodland Owners' Group

Wildlife & countryside act 1981

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Postby Twybill » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:20 pm

Stephen1 wrote:

Twybill wrote;

"That is why the excessive self seeding of Sycamore within woods is bad for bluebells as these trees come into leaf far too early and shade out and suppress the bluebell."

That's an interesting hypothesis - I would guess based on anecdote? If not and you know whether it has been tested empirically, or have a reference for it from a peer reviewed journal I would be very grateful. I've been working on the ecology of bluebells for the last six years and haven't come across this idea before. I have to admit that I feel it unlikely to be demonstrably correct."

My Reply to this:

Sorry, no reference or peer review, just observation, which may only be valid for the woods in the Pennines of West Yorkshire. I am not sure why you think it unlikely to be demonstrably correct.

Sycamore is a very invasive element of our local tree flora and dominates the damper areas. It grows where Ash would normally be and displaces it. Sycamore comes into leaf a good month to 6 weeks before Ash, so where bluebells would have time to flower before canopy closure, with the dense shade of Sycamore it doesn't flower and dies off.

In these high rainfall woods, Sycamore will also dominate Oak woods and besides shading the bluebells, they also slowly kill the Oak trees.

Twybill

Postby HCR » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Stephen1 - no problem. If I'm wrong I'm wrong and it's better to be corrected than have people being misinformed. I've had a look at the schedule and see that the bluebell is indeed listed in respect of S 13(2) as you say.

HCR

Postby HCR » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:02 am

And while I'm at it I used to use/recommend these guys for bluebells and other bulbs:

http://www.bluebellbulbs.co.uk/

HCR

Previous

Return to All things legal