Small Woodland Owners' Group

Wildlife & countryside act 1981

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Postby Exeldama » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:09 pm

cool imfo.... get on garderners question time..... though i now feel that program is far to manicured for me.... give me some old fashioned natural chaos.

Exeldama

Postby Stephen1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Exeldama - Of course you're quite right again, and obviously I do realise we have nothing in common really! Ah the joy of internet forums...

For those interested in the legal side I suggest you take nobody's word about it from this forum, a quick look on the internet at the Wildlife and countryside act 1981 with reference to how part 13 applies to those species listed under section 8 will provide you with the information you need.

I appreciate you don't want suggestions to the apparent paradox of mere bluebell germination as opposed to the establishment of populations viable in the long run from me!

Stephen1

Postby Stephen1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:40 pm

Twybill wrote;

"That is why the excessive self seeding of Sycamore within woods is bad for bluebells as these trees come into leaf far too early and shade out and suppress the bluebell."

That's an interesting hypothesis - I would guess based on anecdote? If not and you know whether it has been tested empirically, or have a reference for it from a peer reviewed journal I would be very grateful. I've been working on the ecology of bluebells for the last six years and haven't come across this idea before. I have to admit that I feel it unlikely to be demonstrably correct.

Stephen1

Postby jennysmate » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:38 am

Isnt this more of a personal, moral question, than a legal one?

I have dug up bluebells, while clearing spaces in my woods, we probably all have. I have replanted them elsewhere, (including a few in my garden). I would have gladly given some to someone who could justify, to me, a good reason for wanting them. I dont care if its legal or not.

Do what you will, as long as it harms none.

jennysmate

Postby woodlander » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Surely digging up bluebells to start them in another wood can only help ?I had to make a cut and fill access track through my steep wood which is covered in bluebells within 2 years they recolonised 90% of the area and the ones that had been buried many feet deep on the fill side still came up!

woodlander

Postby Darren » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:30 pm

we have a small clump of Bluebells in the recently cleared Spruce trees which don't seem to be spreading on wet clay.

Darren

Postby happybonzo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:59 am

So can you buy Bluebell bulbs or seed and if so from whom? I wouldn't mind getting some going in my woods as everyone else seems to have them.

happybonzo

Postby RichardKing » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:43 pm

But Bluebells can be surprisingly slow to spread onto new ground.

A friend in Surrey is able to clearly identify original woodland edges and old field boundries on land that was abandoned after the first world war, simply by looking at the extent of Bluebells.

RichardKing

Postby Stephen1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:26 pm

@ happybonzo

Yes you can buy native british bluebells - although as landowners ARE allowed to make you a gift of some perhaps someone on here might make you a gift of some that are very local to you?

If you have to buy some then I would suggest;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/northwestwales/hi/people_and_places/nature/newsid_8710000/8710621.stm

and her website;

http://verabluebell.co.uk/sales.html

Obviously these are native British Bluebells from North Wales. It is possible that there are some genetic differences between these and thoses locally native to S.E.England.

Stephen1

Postby Stephen1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:45 pm

RichardKing wrote;

"But Bluebells can be surprisingly slow to spread onto new ground.

A friend in Surrey is able to clearly identify original woodland edges and old field boundries on land that was abandoned after the first world war, simply by looking at the extent of Bluebells."

This is very true for the drier east of the country where Bluebells are a very good ancient woodland indicator species - In the wetter west Bluebells are a bit more mobile and spread alittle more readily.

Where secondary woodland grows up on old agricultural fields where the structure and chemistry of the soil has been radically and permanently changed (by ploughing, fertilizing, lime etc.) introduced Bluebells rarely do well.

Potentially more interesting sites for reintroduction are Planted ancient woodland sites.For example where an ancient woodland site has been planted with conifers that have shaded out and killed the groundflora. After the conifers have been felled, and once young broadleaved trees have been well established, bluebells can be reintroduced.

Bluebell seed doesn't lie dormant in the soil seedbank ready to spring back to life when suitable conditions return - so it often needs a helping hand.

However if your wood is a recognised ancient woodland site and there are no bluebells there then there will be a reason why! Attempts to reintroduce them will probably fail in the long run, and successful reintroductions would complicate ecologist's patterns of understanding! - Ancient woods are all unique, and I believe their differences should be celebrated rather than trying to turn any given woodland into the owners preference for how the wood should be - sorry I know that sound preachy!

If anyone is planning a reintroduction and wouldn't mind its progress being recorded (to help work out best techniques for future projects) then please get in touch!

Stephen1

PreviousNext

Return to All things legal