Small Woodland Owners' Group

Woodland security

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Postby Darren » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:47 pm

A friend of mine has buried a metal tool box and covered it with leaves.

Darren

Postby tracy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:50 am

Those in the South Downs have the Sussex path watch scheme

http://www.southdownsonline.org/protecting/rte.asp?id=274

report illegal, dangerous and damaging off road driving

tracy

Postby woodbodger » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:56 pm

I have been very self satisfied in knowing that the access to my wood is well guarded and being in lovely rural Wales I was as safe as houses. This Saturday afternoon I took the dogs for a walk and was most surprised when my timid bitch put up her howl, "there is someone here" and I surprised 2 men with their very scarred bull terrier dogs in my wood. I had an insane conversation with them where I told them that this was private woodland and they apologised and said they were just doing a bit of rabbiting. The reality was that they were looking to do some badger baiting ( I have close to zero rabbits but lots of badgers) but since I am on my own in a wood with two strangers and their rabid dogs I need to go along with their charade of accidentally gone rabbiting on the wrong bit of land. The really frustrating thing is I can not even report this to the police as I do not want to admit to knowing that I have badger sets on my land as the next thing is the powers that be will want to cull them, I think that really is catch 22.

woodbodger

Postby tracy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Sussex Police is appealing for members of the public to be on the look out for deer poachers operating in the Wealden area.

PC Ted Anderson said: "Commercial poaching is a serious problem on various levels and is not a faceless crime. There is a real risk to public health as meat is introduced illegally into the system and as many of the deer are shot at night using high powered weapons there is an obvious risk to public safety.

"There are also real concerns for the animals not being killed in a clinical and professional manner as many are killed with weapons not suitable for the size of the animal.

"Poaching is a secretive business, often carried out at night and in remote locations. I would encourage anyone to contact the police with any information that would help in catching illegal poachers, especially if they have been offered venison from sources other than bona fide dealers."

Game dealers, restaurateurs and hoteliers are reminded to make all necessary checks before accepting such game.

If caught poachers can be prosecuted for offences under the Deer Act 1991 as well as for firearm offences.

If you suspect illegal poaching has been happening in your area please call Sussex Police on 0845 60 70 999 or anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

tracy

Postby happybonzo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Be very careful about tackling Poachers. They are armed and some will shoot it out.

There are some people I know who run the "Poacher Watch" phone line. You get mobile alerts and it is very effective.

If anyone wants further details I'll post them on here

happybonzo

Postby Meadowcopse » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:27 am

Cheshire Constabulary 'Rural Watch' schemes...

http://www.cheshire.police.uk/advice--information/rural-and-environment/rural-watch.aspx

Meadowcopse

Postby tracy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks all, Happybonzo can you post the info and if anyone else has their local rural/ farm watch information please put it up.

We are having loads of diesel and oil stolen in Sussex at the moment!

tracy

Postby tracy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Farm Watch

Telephone: 0800 3288166

Fax: 0870 0100686

Email: [email protected]

Issue Date: 25/1/2011

Title: 4 X 4 THEFTS

There has recently been some reported thefts of 4 x 4 vehicles in the Rother area.

Police Patrols will be being conducted across the district and 4 x 4 vehicles will be stopped if seen being driven during the evening and night time periods.

Can all 4 x 4 vehicle owners be extra vigilant, make sure they secure their vehicles properly and also check regularly on them.

If anybody has any information relating to the thefts of 4 x 4 vehicles then please contact the police on 0845 60 70 999.

tracy

Postby happybonzo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:54 am

It depends a lot on your local Beat officer. If you have a Policeman who comes from a rural area then he will be aware of what things cost. It is not much use trying to explain why you leave £X thousand pounds worth of Tractor in a wood. They simply cannot get their heads around it

btw - like the idea of a bright pink woodland trailer but it might send out the wrong messages around here being near to Snape Maltings...

happybonzo

Previous

Return to All things legal