Small Woodland Owners' Group

Caravan to log cabin

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Postby Hobby » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:09 am

After reading some posts regarding the various subjects on this forum, I've noticed that there are some well informed people contributing. On the back of that, I thought I would seek any previous experience or knowledge to the following possibility.

I have a plot of land/woodland now in my ownership,(formally belonging to my wife's parents)which has 2 static caravans on site. Although now lapsed because of the transfer of ownership,it also had a 6 month residency for the caravans attached to the planning details of the site. In the event that I cant get the planning permission reinstated , does anyone have a view on the law regarding swapping the caravans, which are now in a poor state, with log cabins.

The caravans were originally on site to accommodate people on riding holidays.

My aim is to maybe have a nature/woodland type business set-up and to use the log cabins as a place to stay.

The idea had been gathering dust, but since joining this website and reading about peoples different projects,its got me thinking about my own love of woodland and nature,and how best to promote and expand it.

Any thoughts on the subject would be most welcome.

Kind regards

Mitch

Hobby

Postby baldrick » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:56 pm

I have looked around for a similar reasons and many log cabins fit within the legal definition of caravan and are sold as such, look at such campsites as Sandy Balls in Hampshire, as far as I could tell all of their log cabins are caravans, it is the only way these "campsites" are allowed the log cabins on site

baldrick

Postby Henrietta » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:17 am

Very difficult to say, not knowing more about the site in question. The Sandy Hills cabins are an interesting topic if they were allowed without planning permission. Maybe they were delivered complete on a low loader and theoretically could be removed in the same way, much as a container can be, therefore adopting the same status as a caravan. On the other hand, this would generally mean that although you can legally bring a caravan or container into a woodland, you cannot live in it, or even sleep in it overnight.

Obviously there were other factors in the woodland in question. We would need to know what the six months occupancy was intended for.

Maybe you could tell us a bit more about it, as planning regulations regarding woodland are of interest to us all.

Henrietta

Postby Hobby » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi, and thanks for the replies.

The occupancy was original granted in respect of the riding holiday business that was formerly attached to the land/woodland , the caravans were sited to accommodate the riders during their stay. There is no dwelling on site.

My intention is to replace the static caravans with a log cabin to enhance the overall appeal of the site.

My question was really to see if anyone had any info in respect of the different planning regulations associated to statics and log cabins, and are there any differences. The log cabin I'm thinking of would not be a permanent structure but just a very big shed, simply constructed from wood instead of metal.

Thanks, Hobby.

Hobby

Postby Henrietta » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:40 pm

I think you would have to try and get the permission renewed if you intend to provide accomodation, whether that is caravans or log cabins. If you wish to erect a large shed intended for woodland or agricultural purposes, you will need planning permission if your property falls within a protected area, ie a national park or AONB. If you are lucky enough to fall outside these areas, you can apply to your planning department under Permitted Development.

You can legally keep a caravan as long as it is not used as habitation. In woodland, we are permitted to camp overnight for 28 days a year, but not consecutively, although this is probably of no interest to you. Sorry I can't help further.

Henrietta

Return to All things legal