Small Woodland Owners' Group

Kelly Kettle video

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby happybonzo » Wed May 04, 2011 5:10 am

If you go onto YouTube there are lots of videos on Kelly Kettles but very few are done with any humour or sense of fun.

Here's one from a lady who got a Kelly for her birthday: And, yes, she did really want it. Best demo I've seen on running one.

Anyway, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWIAXHIVcIA&feature=youtu.be

happybonzo

Postby tracy » Wed May 04, 2011 6:38 am

You are right, best one ever! She is so much fun and really enjoying herself. My fav comment is: It doesn't have an off switch, I don't know how to turn it off!

tracy

Postby jennysmate » Wed May 04, 2011 7:39 am

What an annoying woman. Talking of going off grid and using bottled water. I'd love to see the video of her using a bushknife, or was their too much blood to put it on you tube.

jennysmate

Postby happybonzo » Thu May 05, 2011 10:49 am

At least she's having a go and I would never decry anyone for trying. As to the "bottled" water, she lives in Malvern Hills and the water seems to be from a local spring.

happybonzo

Postby greyman » Thu May 05, 2011 11:06 am

Sorry but I only managed to watch up to 2 minutes before teminal boredoom made my head fall onto the keyboard and disconnect from YouTube. Sorry, I know we all have to start somewhere and I'm all for encouraging people - BUT - learn off camera perhaps? There are enough people out there who can find plenty of ammo to fire at the alternative types without 15 minute video's on "how I learnt to use a Kelly Kettle and made a fool of myself within 2 minutes" being posted.

Still "nowt so strange as folk" as they say and of course I was perfect the first time I lit my Kelly.....plus I've never left the cork in or burnt my hand pouring the boiling water out. My remedy for the cork was to lose it. Now we just boil up the spiders and other temporary inhabitant's when we make the first brew of the day.....Mmmmmmm protein!

Greyman

greyman

Postby tracy » Fri May 06, 2011 7:19 am

I must admit we have boiled the kettle with the cork in - and yes, a giant explosion of boiling water results!

tracy

Postby Rich » Fri May 06, 2011 10:17 am

Yeah I only watched mesmerized for 15 minutes to see if she'd ignore the instructions and pick it up by the handle when it boiled and burn her knuckles... just like ... ehm ... I did!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby badger44 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:56 pm

@greyman

I love the lady. She is enthusiastic and genuine. I think the point in learning on camera was to show other people any problems and she was brave enough to do in one go. In fact to expose herself to making a fool of herself on camera but she imho she did not. Why do you think she did, within the two minutes you watched?

badger44

Postby docsquid » Mon May 09, 2011 2:43 pm

The lady is Bridget Strawbridge (from the TV series It's Not Easy Being Green) aka @BeeStrawbridge on Twitter. She is SO enthusiastic. I'm sure we've all made mistakes with a kelly kettle before. I think she did pretty well for first time, and she didn't do the two key bad things of leaving the cork in and picking it up wrongly. All in all, I like these kind of vids rather than the professional non real-time ones.

docsquid

Postby badger44 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks docsquid. Unfortunately greyman appears to have been having a bad day. It would seem far from providing ammo for people to fire at the alternative types, she might actually be encouraging people to be alternative. Judging by the overwhelmingly positive comments on youtube, and 600 views in a week, she appears to be succeeding. I would love grisly greyman to do a video!

badger44

Next

Return to Woodland Activities